RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

The Official 2016 Loot List

DaMenace

I have never had anything but Windows stuff...........until now....... 

I now own an iMac 27 

Bring on the learning curve  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Drashna Jaelre

I have never had anything but Windows stuff...........until now....... 

I now own an iMac 27 

Bring on the learning curve  

ProTip:  Install BootCamp, and then Windows.  Problem solved. :P

Joking aside (half joking, at least), enjoy. :)

Drashna Jaelre

It always fits, it's the right color and it's just what I wanted. Wife and I buy our own presents and cut out the middleman. 

Amen.

Especially as I've been told that I'm a very, very difficult person to shop for. 

(in their defense, I really am... It's tech stuff or "meh", mostly.... so it's expensive to start with, and knowing what stuff is the "right thing" is even more difficult for "normies"!)

I was pleased with a Dell T-20 server with 1tb spinner, Xeon processor, dvd drive, and 4gb ecc. Another 4gb ecc under the tree.

I was good but there are always budgets :)

Very nice! :)

What gen Xeon processor? 

nrf

What gen Xeon processor? 

E3-1225 V3, may not be a top end cpu but more than a celeron or something, right? also has a toshiba HD and dvd R/W drive.

nrf

yes, it is pretty zippy so far, but I haven't loaded it up yet. I suspect the large cache really helps.

I don't get how intel has a recommended price of over $200 for such a processor yet you can buy the whole server for $249. 

Drashna Jaelre

yes, it is pretty zippy so far, but I haven't loaded it up yet. I suspect the large cache really helps.

I don't get how intel has a recommended price of over $200 for such a processor yet you can buy the whole server for $249. 

MSRP.  When it was first released.  I paid something close to that for the 1245v3, but it was pretty new. 

Since it's 2, almost 3 generations out of date now .... prices have dropped on it.  Like the Xeon X5660, MSRP of $1200, but you can find them on ebay for like $50-70.   

But yeah, the haswell Xeon's are very snappy. Should handle just about anything you want to throw at it. 

JROrtiz

You must have been really good this year.

I tried. Got her a Pixel XL and gold ring so I think it about evens out ;-)

• Like 2

gibster

LG OLED B6 55" and a Coke mini fridge

Man that's a present :)

• Like 1

cskenney

I added a AV receiver, a couple of speakers a sub to my 65" 4K TV in my basement.  My son is getting more use out of it than me.

I gave my wife a echo dot and a Sonos Play 1 speaker.  I also got a Play 1.  She has her's in the bathroom and I put the other one in our master bedroom.  The first time she went to get ready for work at 5:30am on Dec 26th she started playing music in the master bedroom instead of the bathroom.  Needless to say I didn't get back to sleep that morning!

My son got a Sphero Sprk (programmable ball with LED's).  My daughter got a Wacom Intuos drawing tablet for the computer.

• Like 2