RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
BPearce

Latest on Luma

BPearce

Found these available in Canada at the US retail price but CDN dollars, what's the latest on software updates? Have read most all the posts regarding the issues with these units - was wondering if someone is using them and is satisfied...

itGeeks

I was testing a single Luma up to about 2 months ago and it was working OK but still lacking in options such as you still could not change the subnet from the default 192.168.55.x to your own and you still can't run Luma in AP mode and you could not change the DNS server used. Performance was OK but not the best in this group. Luma is adding features all the time to get it on feature parity with what  was promised on launch. Netgear Orbi is the top dog in this new breed of WiFi and one that's going to be hard to beat. Orbi kit that contains the router and satellite will cover up to 4000 sqft and I must say I was very impressed with the performance and coverage of just testing the router without the satellite though Orbi is lacking a guest network at the time of testing and does not support Ethernet backhaul. Netgears reasoning for lack of Ethernet backhaul is that Orbi is the first Tri-Band system that uses a dedicated 5Ghz 1.7 Gbps link for the satellites so its not needed and according to all the reviews I found including the respected SNB review it stands up to its promise.

Here is 114 user reviews for Orbi https://www.google.com/shopping/product/4012278750124155552/reviews?sclient=psy-ab&safe=off&biw=1600&bih=818&q=netgear+orbi&oq=netgear&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.&bvm=bv.142059868,d.eWE&tch=1&ech=1&psi=7odcWNmIHsbqmAGF0reYBQ.1482459115116.3&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiH28XNnonRAhUm_IMKHbbrDf4QvCQIdg

I am a hard customer to please and I am now down to 2 products to decide from for use in my daughters new house, Orbi or Open-Mesh and I must say the choice of what to use is very hard because both Open-Mesh and Orbi perform so well.

Hope my info helps you in deciding whats rite for you....

BPearce

I was testing a single Luma up to about 2 months ago and it was working OK but still lacking in options such as you still could not change the subnet from the default 192.168.55.x to your own and you still can't run Luma in AP mode and you could not change the DNS server used. Performance was OK but not the best in this group. Luma is adding features all the time to get it on feature parity with what  was promised on launch. Netgear Orbi is the top dog in this new breed of WiFi and one that's going to be hard to beat. Orbi kit that contains the router and satellite will cover up to 4000 sqft and I must say I was very impressed with the performance and coverage of just testing the router without the satellite though Orbi is lacking a guest network at the time of testing and does not support Ethernet backhaul. Netgears reasoning for lack of Ethernet backhaul is that Orbi is the first Tri-Band system that uses a dedicated 5Ghz 1.7 Gbps link for the satellites so its not needed and according to all the reviews I found including the respected SNB review it stands up to its promise.

Here is 114 user reviews for Orbi https://www.google.com/shopping/product/4012278750124155552/reviews?sclient=psy-ab&safe=off&biw=1600&bih=818&q=netgear+orbi&oq=netgear&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.&bvm=bv.142059868,d.eWE&tch=1&ech=1&psi=7odcWNmIHsbqmAGF0reYBQ.1482459115116.3&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiH28XNnonRAhUm_IMKHbbrDf4QvCQIdg

I am a hard customer to please and I am now down to 2 products to decide from for use in my daughters new house, Orbi or Open-Mesh and I must say the choice of what to use is very hard because both Open-Mesh and Orbi perform so well.

Hope my info helps you in deciding whats rite for you....

I have been reading many of your posts in regards to Luma and your efforts to work with the company to improve their product, it has been much appreciated but seemed to end in September so I was curious as to what had happened since then. I saw the Orbi and would do it but up here in Canada it is 549.00 which is almost double the 298.00 I was able to grab a 3-pack of Luma (what did you do with your single Luma???)

I will check out open-mesh (pricing???) and will consider cancelling my Luma order. My wifi here is ok, my house is wired not a ton of wireless traffic. Our house down south has no wiring and consists of a main house and a casita (small one room with bathroom) about 10-15 feet from main house. I have power line ethernet working to include the casita but it's not exactly a screamer speed-wise.

Sounds like you've given up on Luma...

itGeeks

I still have a slightly used single and a brand new factory sealed 3 pack, if you or anyone else is interested please PM me with your offer. Buyer pays shipping.