RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Installing a HDD with data

nochildsupport

Hi guys,

I've installed windows 7 successfully on a SSD using bay 1. Decided to install my existing HDD full of media into bay 2 but window's won't recognize it. I'm assuming I'll need to create an array before it will be seen in windows via HP SSA? Is there a way to avoid wiping the existing data before doing so? 

Also, I've placed the server away in my cupboard with teamviewer installed incase I need to remote in, does HP have any remote capability to configure pre-Window bootup?

Thanks in advance,

No Child Support

You can use the iLO to manage the server and view the console pre-boot to Windows.

I have added disks with data to MS G8's successfully many times by creating a RAID0 array of just 1 disk.

However, I have always made sure I had a backup of said data just in-case. So far I have had 100% success.

Thanks for the reply. I just create an array for the said disk and now windows is saying I can't use it until I format it. Am i at the point of no return now? Can i reverse the array without losing the data?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, just bumping this up as i have some time to work on this now. If i was to remove the array, will i lose the data? Note: its only a single disc array. 

• 1 month later...

Remove the disk first and check whether it can be read in another machine.

When the disk is removed you can delete the array. That wont touch the disk since the disk is no longer there...