TomP

Cannot complete backups, Backup Status showing 'Unknown'

17 posts in this topic

Not trying to confuse any issues, but offering another alternative approach is to use Veeam backup which is free.  Just create a share on the server that is accessible for the clients and point the backups there.

10 minutes ago, jmwills said:

Not trying to confuse any issues, but offering another alternative approach is to use Veeam backup which is free.  Just create a share on the server that is accessible for the clients and point the backups there.

UrBackup is a free (FOSS) Client-Server backup solution. 

I've used it a little (just enough to see how it works), and it appears to be a good alternative to the Essentials backup stuff.

Agreed.  Most anything is a good alternative to the WHS or Essentials backup mechanism.

I don't agree.  The Esesntials backup works very well.  But yes, it is prone to issues.  

If they actually sat down and sorted the issues out, it would be one of the best solutions, hands down.  But right now, it's "just okay". And there are definitely worse.

Essentials backup is just as bad as WHS 2011 if you are trying to backup UEFI based computers. It suffers from the same problems. It looks like the same code. No improvements. Use Veeam and all your problems will be solved. Mine were.

I didn't use WHS2011 to backup UEFI systems because I didn't have one at the time. 

However, I haven't really had issues with the built in backup. And I've done a number of restores. 

But I do know that issues are inconsistent, and some people had nothing but issues while others (like myself) have had no issues. 

I've also noticed something peculiar recently.  I switched to a Startech eSata/USB3 drive dock for backups.  To take advantage of faster write speeds vs. my previous one.  Seems to only work when connected to eSata as the USB3 connection was dropped too often.

I rotate between 2-3 HDDs for my server backup. However, I've noticed that periodically my WSB will report "Failed: There was a failure in updating the backup for deleted items."  The only fix I can find is to: 1.) update the WSB backup scheme, 2.) remove that hard drive from the backup destination set, 3.) re-add it back to the backup set and allow WSB to re-format it and 4.) re-run the windows server backup.  It then completes successfully.

I'm finding I need to do this once every few weeks vs. months in the past.  Not sure what would cause this?

1 person likes this