TomP

Cannot complete backups, Backup Status showing 'Unknown'

17 posts in this topic

I start a client backup and it usually gets to about 3% (occasionally as far as 94%) then the Backup Status goes to 'Unknown' and the backup process stops.

Most times, the Backup Status will eventually revert to 'Unsuccessful' (with backup showing failure to access all drives) although sometimes I need to restart the Proliant N40L server.

This previously worked fine until I had a 2-week vacation while server and PCs were off, then I've tried for the last 2 weeks to get a successful backup.

Server backup works fine and completes very quickly.

Help would be much appreciated. Thanks...TomP

Further investigation indicates the it is the 'Windows Server Client Backup Service that is stopping although I have no idea why.

If I go into services.msc, I can start it again but it stops again within minutes - any idea how to fix this?

Even though WHS2011 said an HDD was Healthy, DriveScanner identified some 'instabilities' which StableBit support said were very likely to contribute to me problems and urged me to replace this HDD, whilst providing excellent instructions on how to do this.

It looks like the seamless DrivePool HDD removal / replacement has fixed my issues and once again their products have saved my PC / Server life. Thanks to them again !!

1 person likes this

Thanks for sharing TomP.

This might be a similar issue with my WHS2011 box that has been bugging me for months.

Just running StableBit Scanner now and it has identified one of my disks showing signs of failure.

I'll change it out and see if my backups stop failing after a 3%.

Cheers,

Phil.

Posted (edited)

Hi GabonPhil,

After a VERY long time trying to fix stuff and on the point of giving up, my StableBit scanner suddenly reported the 'File system needs to be repaired' on a drive, but couldn't fix it.

The (WD 4TB Red) drive passed all the extended WD Data Lifeguard read tests, so I contacted WD support and they suggested doing a ' low level format' test (ie. Write Zeros) and that immediately and consistently failed. Fortunately it still had 3 months warranty and was replaced, but meanwhile I bought a Seagate Ironwolf 4TB replacement, as well as upgrading to SSD for the OS and suddenly all my problems went away and I now backup in minutes rather than days. This drive runs cooler in my Proliant n40L than the WD Reds and also is a little quieter and cheaper in UK, so it is worth thinking about as an alternative (note this is not the case with larger capacity Ironwolfs).

My reason for this post was that I also earlier replaced another drive that Scanner eventually reported and that fixed previous extended problems for just a day until this latest disk showed problems.

I'm not sure if you HD replacement worked, but my advice is to set Scanner to run far more frequently than the default 30 days so the problems get detected earlier, whilst I also made a request to StableBit to add a small scratchpad write test in Scanner. Maybe you could ask too?

Edited by TomP

Ouch, sorry to hear that. 

As for StableBit Scanner, you can manually set the timeout for the number of days.  30 days is good for most people 

http://stablebit.com/Support/Scanner/2.X/Manual?Section=Scanner

As for the write test, this is destructive, and makes data recovery impossible. Which is why it's not included currently. In a future version, maybe.

Stablebit scanner often reports file system as being damaged and can't fix it. I run Windows 10 error checking and the disk checks good. I then manually set file system health to mark all file systems as good.

If you're using the "/scan" option when running CHKDSK, then DON'T.   This actually skips a number of important checks for the sake of keeping the disk online.  Things like MFT corruption are NOT checked.  Because of this, the file system check in StableBit Scanner may flag things that a "chkdsk /scan" check does not see. 

You've helped me by direct StableBit support contact on previous such issues in the past, thanks.

I felt that waiting as long as 30 days was too long to find I have a problem, so I just set it to 14 days with re-checks at 7 days and immediately got a 'File System Damaged' Email report message on a different  / new HD that had just been replaced before Xmas. Scanner will not let me run the repair because the disk is in use, so I had to use chkdsk /f to schedule a repair (Scanner does not offer this option) on restart and it found no file system problems, so why is Scanner reporting this error when it uses chkdsk /f anyway?

Even after HD replacement, Scanner still reports the new HD file system damaged even after first healthy scan, so I too have had to manually ignore the alert

I re-emphasis my existing request for a write test, which surely should be possible with a small reserved R/W scratchpad file on each HD that DrivePool knows not to duplicate ? All my recent HD problems would have been detected much earlier if this was implemented and save a long time / effort searching unsuccessfully for other causes. Surely this early detection is why we use Scanner?

It would also really help if Scanner could be set to check the heath of just one suspect HD rather than running the tests on all HDs using Start Scan. It may be there already, but I failed to find if this is already possible.

Also I've shared error logs with you in the past, some of which indicated occasional errors with the whole DrivePool or individual HDs, so is it not possible also for Scanner to check the logs and Email me alerts?

I don't use any options. I right click drive, select properties, select Tools, select Check.