RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
sofianito

Xpenology native vs ESXi installation?

sofianito

I'd like to install Xpenology on my microserver and I'd also to be able to run docker for creating images. Apparently xpenology has a package that allow to run docker.

What would be the best option in terms of performance and easy backup?

sunefred

Synology has a lot of functionality. Replacing each of these items would be a tremendous amount of work. I would only chose esxi for the ability to run a lab environment with custom virtual machines and for the flexibility to chose a particular software solution for each of your needs, backup, docker, filesystem, etc. Your question about performance is a good one and I am looking forward to someone answering it =) I am personally choosing the esxi route, so I will chime in with performance numbers once the build is complete.

danyxp

Esxi has issues with the hpvsa driver, no matter what os is on the vm's. I have been on esxi 6.0 for about 1 year, with the version 0.88 of the hpvsa driver it was ok with xpeno. I moved to a bare-metal install of xpenology about a week ago, there is a performance increase but nothing spectacular. The only thing I miss from the esxi install is the fan speed, 6-7% versus 13-17% on bare-metal. 

I tried to get back on esxi just by changing the usb boot stick - just to see if it's possible - but I lost the data on a 4Tb drive; from 4 drives that was the only one that was lost, the other 3 where repaired by dsm. 

sofianito

Esxi has issues with the hpvsa driver, no matter what os is on the vm's. I have been on esxi 6.0 for about 1 year, with the version 0.88 of the hpvsa driver it was ok with xpeno. I moved to a bare-metal install of xpenology about a week ago, there is a performance increase but nothing spectacular. The only thing I miss from the esxi install is the fan speed, 6-7% versus 13-17% on bare-metal. 

I tried to get back on esxi just by changing the usb boot stick - just to see if it's possible - but I lost the data on a 4Tb drive; from 4 drives that was the only one that was lost, the other 3 where repaired by dsm. 

Thanks for sharing you experience, and sorry to hear you lost data.

I'm gonna try the ESXi way to see how it goes ...