RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

DJI Phantom 3 Drone Sale starting at $399

Dave

I'll have mine destroyed by the time you get back here.  ;)

cskenney

I watched your first video.  I am impressed at how stable it was and how high you could fly it your first time taking it out.  You did remember to register it with uncle Sam, right?

BTW - no snow in Indy?

Dave

Yes, i have my FAA number.  Chris, I've been watching YouTube's on this thing for weeks.  I was still nervous but it is so easy to control it's unbelievable.  It really is a joy to do it.  It's easy to fly but there is still a large learning curve.  I see tons of "first flight" "first crash" videos and there are a lot of things you can do wrong.  I thought I would never be able to land it on my own but it is amazingly easy.  

Easily my best purchase of 2016. I already want to mod it and/or trade it in for the bigger/better version. Such fun.

oj88

@Dave, in case you didn't know, I was the one who made the comment on your YT video on the use of the antenna reflector to increase range. Though I don't use it regularly, it's always in my drone bag.

I envy that you've got a nice neighborhood.... lots of open spaces. I should start flying again soon. I've bought an app called Vertical Studio that allows my Standard to do image tracking (a feature that was only introduced in the Phantom 4). I also have another app called Litchi that can do Tracking. However, it's nowhere near as good as Vertical Studio based on my own experience.

I've also made modifications on my Standard controller to take in the Inspire mobile mount. It's a lot more stable than the flimsy mount it originally came with.

Y98sLk0.jpg

PS: I think I've found your doppelganger. I'm not sure whether you get this a lot or not but after watching your video, I think that you could very well be twins with Sean Hayes (the guy who played 'Jack' in 'Will & Grace'). It's uncanny. :D

• Like 1

awraynor

@Dave, in case you didn't know, I was the one who made the comment on your YT video on the use of the antenna reflector to increase range. Though I don't use it regularly, it's always in my drone bag.

I envy that you've got a nice neighborhood.... lots of open spaces. I should start flying again soon. I've bought an app called Vertical Studio that allows my Standard to do image tracking (a feature that was only introduced in the Phantom 4). I also have another app called Litchi that can do Tracking. However, it's nowhere near as good as Vertical Studio based on my own experience.

I've also made modifications on my Standard controller to take in the Inspire mobile mount. It's a lot more stable than the flimsy mount it originally came with.

Y98sLk0.jpg

PS: I think I've found your doppelganger. I'm not sure whether you get this a lot or not but after watching your video, I think that you could very well be twins with Sean Hayes (the guy who played 'Jack' in 'Will & Grace'). It's uncanny. :D

He's going to be busy. Will and Grace are coming back on air. 

• Like 1

oj88

He's going to be busy. Will and Grace are coming back on air.

Yeah, I heard. :D

Dave

I had no idea.  In fact, you have been on my mind as I make these videos because you started the whole thing in my head!  How awesome.  I replied to your comment too, not knowing it was you.  I think we could have many more discussions!

I have that tablet adapter on order from China.  I was going to get the one for the Inspire controller but this other one was only $12. I'll do a video on how it installs. It might not be worth it.  I also have a message into ARGTek to see if they would like to sponsor some gear for review. I think they have enough coverage but you never know.  I would like to use their adapter for some larger omni antennas and not necessarily the panels.

I've heard of Litchi but not Verticle Studio.  So....there goes the rest of my afternoon thank you very much!   I'll be reading like crazy!

oj88

I had no idea.  In fact, you have been on my mind as I make these videos because you started the whole thing in my head!  How awesome.  I replied to your comment too, not knowing it was you.  I think we could have many more discussions!

I have that tablet adapter on order from China.  I was going to get the one for the Inspire controller but this other one was only $12. I'll do a video on how it installs. It might not be worth it.  I also have a message into ARGTek to see if they would like to sponsor some gear for review. I think they have enough coverage but you never know.  I would like to use their adapter for some larger omni antennas and not necessarily the panels.

I've heard of Litchi but not Verticle Studio.  So....there goes the rest of my afternoon thank you very much!   I'll be reading like crazy!

Well, it's always a pleasure to have an influence on others... for good or for worse.

Right now, I'm keeping an eye out on a (hopefully) upcoming mod. A guy is prototyping a Mavic-like chassis he 3D-printed. If you have a Phantom 3, you can, in theory, transplant the internal components to the new chassis and you'll end up with what looks like a Mavic, folding arms and all. Of course, it's still a Phantom 3 under the hood and you're only limited to Phantom 3 capabilities (ie. no collision sensors, or VPS if you have a P3 Standard).

This is a breakthrough for me because as a casual hobbyist, I can't justify spending a lot of money on a Mavic when I still have a perfectly-working P3 Standard. But I'd pay to make my P3S more portable... easier to bring with me anywhere. Like they say, your best equipment in the field is the equipment you happen to have with you.

Take a look: http://wetalkuav.com/new-dji-phantom-mavic-hybrid-drone/

• Like 1