RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Plex Server VM

Trig0r

Does, or does not, Plex use hardware to decode streams before it chucks it to another device?

Can't find a solid answer..

In short, have Plex on a VM, given it a RemoteFX, is there a point?

I don't know if Plex uses hardware streams, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't need them.  I have Plex running in a CentOS VM under Hyper-V 2012R2 and it performs fine.  The host machine is an E3 Xeon (I don't remember what generation or part).  I rarely do anything that requires the server to transcode streams in real-time, but it seems to handle transcoding streams for syncing quite well.  The higher resolution streams obviously take a bit to get through, but older 480p stuff it can handle well above real-time so far.

Does, or does not, Plex use hardware to decode streams before it chucks it to another device?

Can't find a solid answer..

In short, have Plex on a VM, given it a RemoteFX, is there a point?

Plex uses a modified version of FFMPEG to transcode (re-encode) to a friendlier format, or to downsample the media, so it uses less bandwidth.

So, yes, it does decode and re-encode before it streams to another device.

But this doesn't always happen. In some cases, it does support "direct playback", if the file is in a format that the client device is capable of playing, and there are no bandwidth constraints. 

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250377-Transcoding-Media

But it uses the CPU, and exclusively the CPU to do this.  You'd need GPU assisted encoding support to use a GPU.  

And Emby is the only solution that I know of that actually has the ability to use the GPU for this.  But even that isn't great.  You're better off throwing a good CPU at Plex.  

Or in my case, grab a dual socket system (Xeon x5660's) and accept that it is probably overkill.  But hey, the system was $200.

I can throw more CPU at it if needs be, its only got 4 cores at the mo, I can go to 8..

I'll bin the GPU off of it for now if its not of any use..

I can throw more CPU at it if needs be, its only got 4 cores at the mo, I can go to 8..

I'll bin the GPU off of it for now if its not of any use..

You sure can.  The more power, the more simultaneous transcoded streams.  You do not need it for 1 stream but more CPU helps as you increase the number.  I have been running mine at 8 and it works really well but I usually do not go over 3 streams.

What CPU model do you use to run 8 streams? I am on an Intel Ivy Bridge core I5-3570K and don't know that I've ever tried to stream more than 2 streams simultaneously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i7-3770s, theoretical max of 9 streams, have set it to do 720/4mb just wanted to know if i could back off of the CPU count and get the GPU to do the job..

What CPU model do you use to run 8 streams? I am on an Intel Ivy Bridge core I5-3570K and don't know that I've ever tried to stream more than 2 streams simultaneously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am running the I7-4770 but I made a typo and meant 5 not 8 streams.  5 streams on 8 cores.  It can do more but I have never tested it.

This is PMS running on an i5-4570 (physical). There is another PC not shown in the pic that's also streaming a movie, for a total of 8. I ran out of devices to stream to. Sorry, didn't take note of the media details like if it's direct-streaming or such. I just fired each one up and started playing a different movie.

Riyjgat.png

• Like 1

This is PMS running on an i5-4570 (physical). There is another PC not shown in the pic that's also streaming a movie, for a total of 8. I ran out of devices to stream to. Sorry, didn't take note of the media details like if it's direct-streaming or such. I just fired each one up and started playing a different movie.Riyjgat.png

Impressive. What res/bit rate are you using? Never ran that many good to know it can.