RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Dell T20 Xeon V3 2.25

magnet

I Just got my dell T20. It came with 

4GB ECC Unbuffered RAM

I bought this from Newegg. Hope it is compatible with my system

Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3L 1600 (PC3L 12800) Server Memory Model CT2KIT102472BD160B 

And i have this from my previous system.

Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB Single DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL8 @1.5V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory BLT8G3D1608DT1TX0

can i combine all these RAMs? Pleas Suggest

There are 4 RAM slots, is there any specific way to combine these RAMs or i can just install all in 4 slots ?. Please help

I can't comment on the compatibility of the various devices you mention, you can compare the specs of each to the published server requirements.

you should pay attention to the voltages each set requires as part of 'speccing'. as I read the owners manual you can not mix memory of different voltages.

the aspect of mixing sizes I was not clear on in the document. given the 2x8 and 8gb single are 1.5v I would think start with  2x8 in slots 1 and 2. and the single 8gb in slot 3. this would give you dual channelmode for the first 16gb. 

I am not sure what the 4gb would do for you in slot 4 assuming it is 1.5v. if your budget can handle it perhaps buy a fourth 8bg stick? I prefer things 'tidy', not sure how picky the server is.

folks, chime in, I haven't touched mine yet so am working from 'paper'...

Edited by nrf
  • Like 1

I can't comment on the compatibility of the various devices you mention, you can compare the specs of each to the published server requirements.

you should pay attention to the voltages each set requires as part of 'speccing'. as I read the owners manual you can not mix memory of different voltages.

the aspect of mixing sizes I was not clear on in the document. given the 2x8 and 8gb single are 1.5v I would think start with  2x8 in slots 1 and 2. and the single 8gb in slot 3. this would give you dual channelmode for the first 16gb. 

I am not sure what the 4gb would do for you in slot 4 assuming it is 1.5v. if your budget can handle it perhaps buy a fourth 8bg stick? I prefer things 'tidy', not sure how picky the server is.

folks, chime in, I haven't touched mine yet so am working from 'paper'...

Thank you.

2 * 8GB  - ECC           UDIMM - PC3L - 12800 - 1600MT/S     -1.35V

1 * 8GB  -NON ECC - UDIMM - PCL  -  12800 - 1600 MT/S    -1.5V

1 * 4GB - ECC            UDIMM - PC3L - 12800 - 1600MT/S     -1.35V

Please suggest

does latency play an important role in arranging the RAMs?

if those specs are correct, it makes this easy. 2*8gb goes in slots 1&2. your choice on whether to put 4gb in slot 3 or not. the other one is not compatible - all those you put in must be of the same voltage.

• Like 2

I Just got my dell T20. It came with 

4GB ECC Unbuffered RAM

I bought this from Newegg. Hope it is compatible with my system

Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3L 1600 (PC3L 12800) Server Memory Model CT2KIT102472BD160B 

That is exactly the kit I have currently running in my Dell T20 (along with the original 4 GB ECC that came with it). So you should be fine.

However i suspect the 8gb non ECC like was mentioned by @nrf might be an issue if combined with the above (non ecc and ECC combo with differing voltages)

• Like 2

Thank you all for your suggestions.

That is exactly the kit I have currently running in my Dell T20 (along with the original 4 GB ECC that came with it). So you should be fine.

However i suspect the 8gb non ECC like was mentioned by @nrf might be an issue if combined with the above (non ecc and ECC combo with differing voltages)

I installed ubuntu with Plex Media Server. Do you have any recommendations ?

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I installed ubuntu with Plex Media Server. Do you have any recommendations ?

I am running Plex Media server on a windows server 2012 r2 essentials (evaluation currently, but will move to 2016 soon as both are about the same in cost and 16 is newer) and it runs great. I just was more comfortable with windows and wanted the bare metal client backup feature that i had for years on my trusty old HP 490 running WHS V1. Thought about Freenas and read and lost interest in it!!