RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Watson

Server Reboot Login

Watson

Every time my server reboots, before any of the services load up, I have to log in by accessing it via remote desktop (which happens as soon as I open the remote desktop, no password required). Why is this and how do I get it to log in automatically?

Also, what's the easiest way to disconnect the server from the internet without disconnecting it from the network or turning it off? I need the bandwidth for video games but others still want to stream videos on the network...

Edited by Watson

Andne

You shouldn't need to log into it in order to start services, unless the services you are talking about actually run as background programs on the desktop (Plex is an example of this I believe).  If I remember correctly there are both programs out there to provide the ability to run desktop programs as a service and programs that will auto-login on boot.  The second can be a security risk though since now if someone gets physical access to the server they may be able to use it without a username or password.

Unless it's downloading updates, the server should basically be using no bandwidth.  I doubt it's affecting your games but in theory it could be possible.  One way would be to remove the default gateway temporarily, without that the server won't know how to get to the internet but it can still talk on the network (only possible if it's using a static IP).  Are you running other services on the server that are bandwidth-intensive?

Watson

Good call - I'm trying to use NSSM (Non-Sucking Service Installer) to get all my desktop programs working as services, not having much luck so far but I'm sure I'll get there.

Yes, I do have services that are constantly downloading. I thought there might be a service of some kind that could remotely "turn off" the internet connection with the click of a button. Otherwise, I do have a static IP set up so I can just remove the default gateway when needed.

Andne

It may be simplier/better to just disable those services when you want to free up network bandwidth.  Removing the server from the internet completely may result in other complications (I know there is a warning/error that it logs when it can't get online for a certain amount of time).