fossilnews

Anyone using Google Wifi?

briboynyc    1
briboynyc

Can't use bridge for the entire mesh?

Edited by briboynyc

briboynyc    1
briboynyc

After working w/Google I have decided to return my google wifi. If you need bridge mode, I'm sorry to say that when connected in mesh mode you cannot place the primary hub in bridge mode. The only way to get into bridge mode is when the primary is NOT in mesh mode. What good is that?

And for some strange reason they don't allow setting a static IP for the WAN. They gave me some crap about the software knows its connected to a router and not a modem. I really liked the units and got very good coverage but the software is VERY limited.

I was a bit confused by your posting and I was hoping you could clarify.  You mentioned bridge mode and mesh mode and primary hub.  Google wifi 3 pack is a mesh wifi automatically isn't it?  With all 3 devices connected together it will form a mesh.  So you're saying if you have 3 running as a mesh there is no way to get google wifi into bridge?  Only one of the 3 devices is bridged and the others are running DHCP? 

I wanted my Ubiquiti Lite router to handle DHCP and then wanted the google wifi to operate in bridge mode.  So you're saying that's not possible.

If so that is so disappointing.  I just received my google wifi and was ready to open it and start testing.  I've tried eero (which I still have), Luma (which I sent back) and Amplifi HD (which I'm still testing) and all 3 allow bridge mode for the entire mesh

whsbuss    10
whsbuss

I was a bit confused by your posting and I was hoping you could clarify.  You mentioned bridge mode and mesh mode and primary hub.  Google wifi 3 pack is a mesh wifi automatically isn't it?  With all 3 devices connected together it will form a mesh.  So you're saying if you have 3 running as a mesh there is no way to get google wifi into bridge?  Only one of the 3 devices is bridged and the others are running DHCP? 

I wanted my Ubiquiti Lite router to handle DHCP and then wanted the google wifi to operate in bridge mode.  So you're saying that's not possible.

If so that is so disappointing.  I just received my google wifi and was ready to open it and start testing.  I've tried eero (which I still have), Luma (which I sent back) and Amplifi HD (which I'm still testing) and all 3 allow bridge mode for the entire mesh

Let me clarify.... when you setup the primary GWifi and then connect the other units wirelessly, you cannot enter bridge mode on the primary. So for example, I have verizon fios and it requires its own router for TV functions. So I need bridge or AP mode. On GWifi it creates its own subnet 192.168.86.x and all clients who connect wirelessly or via the mesh will be assigned an IP from this subnet. So without bridge mode (where DHCP is assigned from the VZ router on the same subnet) I cannot do Time Machine on my MacBook and in some cases cannot connect to static IP devices on the main subnet LAN.

I sure hope the rethink this and permit bridge with wireless mesh like their competitors.

Edited by whsbuss

briboynyc    1
briboynyc

Th

Let me clarify.... when you setup the primary GWifi and then connect the other units wirelessly, you cannot enter bridge mode on the primary. So for example, I have verizon fios and it requires its own router for TV functions. So I need bridge or AP mode. On GWifi it creates its own subnet 192.168.86.x and all clients who connect wirelessly or via the mesh will be assigned an IP from this subnet. So without bridge mode (where DHCP is assigned from the VZ router on the same subnet) I cannot do Time Machine on my MacBook and in some cases cannot connect to static IP devices on the main subnet LAN.

I sure hope the rethink this and permit bridge with wireless mesh like their competitors.

That is just idiotic for google to limit such a basic function.  It sounds like if you have a single google wifi unit you can put it into bridge mode.  See their help section which confirms what you were talking about:

https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6240987?hl=en

• Like 1

darton    0
darton

That is just idiotic for google to limit such a basic function.

its bizarre and makes the product a little silly

I imagine they will upgrade the software eventually

whsbuss    10
whsbuss

its bizarre and makes the product a little silly

I imagine they will upgrade the software eventually

There's also reports that the guest network on GWifi doesn't allow connections to certain sites like tumbler. Just not ready for the big time yet.

fossilnews    5
fossilnews

So I just got Google Wifi (3 pack) and am replacing my Amplifi HD system.  Here is a quick rundown of the differences between the two:

1) Google aggressively pushes you to the primary router. I can be outside and near a mesh point and if the connection to the router is still solid my device will continue communicate with it 2) device management is pretty nice and you can rename all the devices that are connected to your network.  Amplifi would only let you rename devices that were assigned a static IP 3) satellites seem to have a lower top speed than the Amplifi satellites when tested with a site like fast.com, however, the throughput between them and the router seems faster. I say this because I have a security camera that connects through a satellite and when I view it on my app it happens noticeably faster than the Amplifi system 4) no speed drop offs like was happening with Amplifi :) 5) guest network is better because it is not limited to a max of 10 devices 6) app is snappy, but the layout is not as good or intuitive as Amplifi's.  Amplifi's app is pretty great. 7) setup of the system was simple, but not as dead simple as Amplifi's 8) it has remote management which is nice if you set this up for a family member

If you have any specific questions let me know and I'll reply.

• Like 2

Dave    277
Dave

Did your test devices roam easily on the amplify?  Some wireless devices hang on to the AP for dear life.  Others have trouble switching.  I've seen it all with my testing.

What is range like?

fossilnews    5
fossilnews

Did your test devices roam easily on the amplify?  Some wireless devices hang on to the AP for dear life.  Others have trouble switching.  I've seen it all with my testing.

What is range like?

I had router steering turned on for Amplifi, but still felt like it would transfer me to the extender sooner.  For example, I have the rachio sprinkler system in my garage.  I have/had an extender for both systems in the garage too and the rachio (about 15 feet from both) connects to the router on Google Wifi, but would use the extender on Amplifi.

I think the Amplifi has slightly better range because the extender antennas are pretty insane, but Google Wifi basically gives you three routers (any of them can be the primary hub) so they seem to talk to and negotiate with each other better than Amplifi's system.