RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Frank needs a storage card

Trig0r

So, the motherboard I have in my machine at the mo has 6 SATA channels on it, fine for now, granted only 2 of them are SATA600, so given that I have spent the grand total of £0 on this build so far, what card recommendation do you guys have...?

Do you need some form of RAID or do you just need SATA/SAS ports? 

If it is just ports a IBM (LSI) M1015 with IT firmware is a solid choice for 8 SATA 6Gb/s ports. Marvell based boards are a good choice as well.

Nah not bothered about RAID, I prefer to use the Stablebit stuff as I dont tend to backup most things, just the important stuff, so if a drive or array fails then I'm ok to just bang the disk into something else...

9207-8i from AliExpress

LSI Logic Controller Card LSI00301 SAS 9207 8i 8Port Internal SAS/SATA 6Gb/s PCI Express Single Retail on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Plenty of suppliers selling them for $115

You may need a mini SAS to SATA connector as well.

When you add newly attached drives to drivepool you may see drives missing as the pool drive letter designator is changed.

This is easily fixed but can be avoided by using a drive pool letter designator further down the alphabet.

THIS FROM THE EXPERT: Drashna

You can use Disk Management to change the drive letter back, and restart the system (you can restart services, but it's much easier to just reboot). 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q6811286

This works for both the pooled disks and for the pool itself.  And we do recommend a letter much further along in the alphabet to help prevent "collisions" like this from happening. 

Additionally, something that may help for the future, is mounting the poole disks to folder paths, and removing their drive letters. Stablebit DrivePool has absolutely no issue with this, and is very useful in systems with a large number of disks. 

9207-8i from AliExpress

LSI Logic Controller Card LSI00301 SAS 9207 8i 8Port Internal SAS/SATA 6Gb/s PCI Express Single Retail on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Plenty of suppliers selling them for $115

You may need a mini SAS to SATA connector as well.

When you add newly attached drives to drivepool you may see drives missing as the pool drive letter designator is changed.

This is easily fixed but can be avoided by using a drive pool letter designator further down the alphabet.

THIS FROM THE EXPERT: Drashna

You can use Disk Management to change the drive letter back, and restart the system (you can restart services, but it's much easier to just reboot). 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q6811286

This works for both the pooled disks and for the pool itself.  And we do recommend a letter much further along in the alphabet to help prevent "collisions" like this from happening. 

Additionally, something that may help for the future, is mounting the poole disks to folder paths, and removing their drive letters. Stablebit DrivePool has absolutely no issue with this, and is very useful in systems with a large number of disks. 

One of the concerns I have with AliExpress is confirming what you will actually get. The link above takes you to a page for a 8i board. The box has a picture of a 8e board and a label for a 8i board. The second picture is a 8i board.The item specifics are for a 8i board, but the item description is for a 8e board.

Have you had good luck ordering from them? I have only order a handful of items, but it seems like 50% of the time I did not get what I ordered.

Although they are generally used, M1015 boards run $65 on ebay US.

I've had a bit of a look at the Startech website, not the best manufacturer but they do a lot of random stuff...

I have found the following...

https://www.startech.com/uk/Cards-Adapters/HDD-Controllers/SATA-Cards/pci-express-sata-raid-card-hyperduo-3-port~PEXMSATA343

https://www.startech.com/uk/Cards-Adapters/HDD-Controllers/SATA-Cards/PCI-Express-SATA-III-RAID-Controller-Card-Mini-SAS-SFF-8087~PEXSAT34SFF

https://www.startech.com/uk/Cards-Adapters/HDD-Controllers/SATA-Cards/4-Port-PCI-Express-SATA-6Gbps-RAID-Controller-Card~PEXSAT34RH

All of which are plenty good enough for my requirements, it would mean changing the way the UMT VM runs at the mo as the internet comes in on a single Intel NIC, I could remove the onboard from the LAN Team and make it the internet port freeing up a slot on the board for this controller, I've already got a SAS cable from when I was going to use my old Gen7 as a storage box..

One of the concerns I have with AliExpress is confirming what you will actually get. The link above takes you to a page for a 8i board. The box has a picture of a 8e board and a label for a 8i board. The second picture is a 8i board.The item specifics are for a 8i board, but the item description is for a 8e board.

Have you had good luck ordering from them? I have only order a handful of items, but it seems like 50% of the time I did not get what I ordered.

Although they are generally used, M1015 boards run $65 on ebay US.

I just placed the link of the first site that appeared when I searched AliExpress.  You obviously have to check each one.  I paid $130 about a year ago for a marvell based one and have never been more pleased with how easy it was to add drives to my supermicro server. Only limitation now is the power supply to add more drives. Those of us living in Australia do not have the luxury of Amazon USA.  The postage for most purchases is often equal to or more than the price of the article which often is made in china anyway.  I can get the same thing direct from china post free.  I have not been duded by aliexpress  so far and on the one occasion that my purchase did not turn up I was given the opportunity for a full refund or postage of a replacement.