RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen8 Limitations

stej85

Hi All

So I've got an N40L already and looking at upgrading to the Gen8.

I know with the N40L there were limitations such as >1TB boot drive, 16GB RAM etc...

What are the physical limitations of the Gen8 from stock?

I am looking at getting the G1610T model, 4GB RAM (base) then upgrading the following to allow a VM (not bothered about the CPU not being powerful enough - this is a lab server, performance isnt a requirement)

4x4TB WD RED (RAID5 or RAID1+JBOD)

16GB RAM (possibly 32GB very late on)

Also, is there anything I can do about the limitations?

Apologies if this has all been covered - I can find the odd article but nothing specific to everything, and HP presales weren't much use on these queries either.

16GB (Only one 32GB set available, it has been tested and hangs at bootscreen)

UDIMM ECC memory (UDIMM sucks, nothing to do about that though)

Non-Hotplug HD backplane and caddies

Heatsink is is specd for 35W (Someone here on the forum installed watercooling on his CPU)

150W PSU

The best CPU for the platform, Intel Xeon E3-1265L V2, is very hard to come by

Edited by sunefred

What are you expecting the Gen8 to do that the N40L doesn't?

If 32Gb is a must, then look elsewhere, there are other servers by other vendors as well as from HP themselves, or, you could go down the Frankenbuild route.

Server built up from spare parts and the likes..

Custom Build, Self Build, call it what you want...

Mines built up with parts from my spare PC at home, in a different case to give me the ability to put more drives in, mATX, 32Gb RAM etc...

What are you expecting the Gen8 to do that the N40L doesn't?

If 32Gb is a must, then look elsewhere, there are other servers by other vendors as well as from HP themselves, or, you could go down the Frankenbuild route.

Complicated

Basically I'm doing another MCSA/MCSE this year and my N40L won't run 2012R2, and certainly won't run any VMs. I'm aware the processor i bought is the celeron and least likely to perform well (probably even against the AMD Turion in the N40L) - however speed/performance isnt the aim. Once the exam is done i will drop HyperV and the vhd and leave it as the basic 2012R2 to keep my docs and projects safe.

32GB isnt a must, more of a target but wouldnt have been worth it without the xeon E3-1265L V2 as mentioned earlier.

The B120i doesnt but I'm sure somewhere I read you could add another RAID card? For a server that is likely going to be staying for the next 5-8 years i dont mind spending a bit of money to make sure its good.

Would it be possible to add another RAID card, AND an intel quad NIC? 

No 5.25"? What the deuce? I'm guessing the ODD can be removed - and its space used?

Should be getting the chassis later today so i'll take a poke around tonight.

Complicated

Basically I'm doing another MCSA/MCSE this year and my N40L won't run 2012R2, and certainly won't run any VMs. I'm aware the processor i bought is the celeron and least likely to perform well (probably even against the AMD Turion in the N40L) - however speed/performance isnt the aim. Once the exam is done i will drop HyperV and the vhd and leave it as the basic 2012R2 to keep my docs and projects safe.

32GB isnt a must, more of a target but wouldnt have been worth it without the xeon E3-1265L V2 as mentioned earlier.

The B120i doesnt but I'm sure somewhere I read you could add another RAID card? For a server that is likely going to be staying for the next 5-8 years i dont mind spending a bit of money to make sure its good.

Would it be possible to add another RAID card, AND an intel quad NIC?

No 5.25"? What the deuce? I'm guessing the ODD can be removed - and its space used?

Should be getting the chassis later today so i'll take a poke around tonight.

Here are the specs:

https://www.hpe.com/us/en/product-catalog/servers/proliant-servers/pip.specifications.hpe-proliant-microserver-gen8.5379860.html

There is only one pcie slot, so you can add a RAID controller or a NIC, not both. If you are planning on keeping this server for 5-8 years you may want to look at newer models, as the Gen8 is already 3 years old. ML10v2 is bigger, but you get more slots and up to 32GB of memory.