RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ESXi 6.5 for MS Gen8 ,is it free or I must buy license after 60 days trial expired

seanyang2006

I'm confused when I installed the ESXi 6.5 on my MS Gen8 ---ESXi prompted me that I only have 60 days trial license and after 60 days I must buy a full license ---is that true ?

If so ,should I just use another ESXi-HPE version without trial limitation or how to get a free version of ESXi? 

Go to this page to register a free esxi license: https://www.vmware.com/go/get-free-esxi

The 60-day trial is a full version of esxi with no limitations. The free version on the other hand has many limitations such as:

- Max 2 physical CPU

- Max 8 virtual CPU per VM

- vCenter not downloadable. This also means you won't be able to use the new HTML5 client

- Many more things that does not affect me.

Thanks , I just now applied successfully a license for vSphere Hypervision 6 and applied it to my ESXi 6.5 ,now the 60 days trial expiration warning disappeared !

But it still has a warning at the "Host" tab:

The certificate assigned to this host is not valid yet. You should install a valid certificate.

So, what does it mean for the valid certificate here ?

I also checked the  Manage-Licensing tag as the following----Dose it mean I can use the ESXi 6.5 without worrying about the expiration 60 days later even with the invalid certificate warning above?

VMware vSphere 6 Hypervisor
Key:

1MXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Expiration date:

Never

Features:
  • Up to 8-way virtual SMP

Edited by seanyang2006

Thanks sunefred!

Hope it works anyway ---I just worry about that  I now will configure the VMs and one day I can't access the ESXi for my VMs any longer due to trial or invalid cert.....