RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Best Practices for DVD Ripping

mindofmenjim

I'm curious as to what if any concensus there is on Best Practices for DVD ripping. I have used various methods that run the gamut from Handbrake-created MP4 rips of just the movie to full DVD rips using the My Movies software.

I like the full DVD functionality of the My Movies rips, specifically the ability to see DVD cover art and have access to the full menu structure using my WD TV and Sage TV HD Theater boxes, but I'm not wild about chewing up 7-8 GB of Hard Drive space when an MP rip takes up 1/7 to 1/8 of the space on my server.

What do folks out here like to do?

Shameless plug - If you are interested in detailed info as to my DVD and Bluray ripping, please see my blog posts on DVD Ripping here: http://www.hometechplace.com/archives/41 and on Blueray ripping here: http://www.hometechplace.com/archives/45

Edited by mindofmenjim

I use straight movie rips. Specifically I use anydvd and Nero recode to extract the movie only and maintain the folder structure and I do not compress anything. I do the same with BD. MyMovies works great but the one feature it is missing that keeps if from being great is the ability to extract the movie only. I do not want the bloat of previews, intros and stuff. The average for a movie only is about 6 Gigs which is nothing by today's standards. There is not wrong way, however anything that compresses or degrades the bit rate I would not use. The other alternative which also works well media players is MKV.

I rip to VIDEO_TS format for DVDs and to .iso for Blu-ray (using MyMovies/AnyDVD).

As far as "best practices" are concerned, I think it depends on your goals/tastes.

As for me, I want to maintain the original disk in its entirety. This includes image/sound quality, menus, previews, special features, etc. I figure that should I ever need to restore one of these backups, I'd like to indeed have it be as identical to the original as possible.

Hard drive space is pretty cheap (and getting cheaper)...so I don't mind how much space this stuff takes up (but can understand how this can be a constraining factor for some).

Lastly, I'm guessing that at some point in the future a single "ultimate" format/container might be created...by keeping the stuff in the original format for now, I retain the option to convert to anything I want later.

Lastly, while I don't currently recode anything for playback on a mobile device, I may choose to do so in the future. I'd rather make that conversion from as "pure" a copy as I can.

i have to agree with bryonomo: it all depends on what you want to accomplish. if you're concerned about streaming to other devices, be it extenders or some type of dlna device, then you probably want to rip to mp4 or a comparable container that is steamer-friendly.

that being said, i use a very similar process as both pcdoc and bryonomo. i use AnyDVD and CloneDVD (also from SlySoft) to rip my movies. i retain the video_ts folder structure, and have the option to either rip only the feature, or the entire disc including extras. additionally, it allows me to rip the feature with multiple audio streams, and keep the title screen so i can select those different options. depending on the movie, i sometimes rip the entire disc or just the feature. like bryonomo, i choose to stick with the original vob files since it allows me to convert to another format at any time if i want to.

I'm in with JoseROrtiz. I don't necessarily care if it is 100% quality. I rip with AnyDVD and CloneDVD to a single disc. I hope to soon rip those (feature only) discs to the server, either through an AnyDVD whole disc rip or maybe go the MyMovies route? I like having a disc on hand, but the electronic version on the server with mediacenter would ultimately be more useable. My method is probably more labor intensive than need be, but it works for me. Referencing MyMovies, I don't mind spending money on a product that does the job and saves me time, but will use the trial first anyway.

Guest no-control

My DVD's are straight image .iso rips using AnyDVD. I use MakeMKV for ripping my Bluray and TV box sets into .mkv containers. I've been debating to re-rip it all into either .mkv or folder structures. I don't like the MyMovies product so no comment on its functionality. Home movies are saved in their native format, .mts for HD and .3gp for cell

Just to clarify...I use clonedvd to rip the DVD to my server, not to another DVD, and I keep it at 100% quality. I just strip out the extras unless it's a movie I especially enjoy. I use anydvd to create a full image iso although I plan to find a better solution at some point.

• 1 month later...

From my client, I use AnyDVD and ImgBurn to rip the DVDs into ISOs. Then I move files to my server. I have an XStreamer that can play the ISO files natively. Also, I have PCs on some of my TVs that can play the movies with VLC media player.

I also have an iPod Touch with a home made rig to send the video output to screens in my car, so I need some files in a compatible M4V format. I use Handbrake to rip the movies I need to the iPod Touch format. For DVDs of shows (like Dora), I'll rip each show to a separate M4V file, so I can mix and match and put a variety of shows on the iPod. I have over 1000 M4V files of children's shows.

The TVs in the car was mainly because we had an hour long commute (one way) and were taking the kids with us to day care.

• 4 months later...

From my client, I use AnyDVD and ImgBurn to rip the DVDs into ISOs. Then I move files to my server. I have an XStreamer that can play the ISO files natively. Also, I have PCs on some of my TVs that can play the movies with VLC media player.

I also have an iPod Touch with a home made rig to send the video output to screens in my car, so I need some files in a compatible M4V format. I use Handbrake to rip the movies I need to the iPod Touch format. For DVDs of shows (like Dora), I'll rip each show to a separate M4V file, so I can mix and match and put a variety of shows on the iPod. I have over 1000 M4V files of children's shows.

The TVs in the car was mainly because we had an hour long commute (one way) and were taking the kids with us to day care.

How do you like your XStreamer? Thinking about maybe getting one or one of their new XStreamer Ultras

gib

How do you like your XStreamer? Thinking about maybe getting one or one of their new XStreamer Ultras

gib

I would look at PlayOnHD Mini, Popcorn Hour 200 in that order. Both support YAMJ, with the Popcorn hour now claiming native support with meta data.

Edited by running4shape