RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ESXi 6.5 on gen8 - anyone succeeded ?

miodzicho

Hi all

Does anyone succeeded with 6.5 installation on gen8 ? I tried HPE version.

In my case reboot is taking ages, on nfs41client loaded successfully getting stuck for 5 minutes or so.

When it fully boot up, I tried to start VM from CLI using 

vim-cmd vmsvc/power.on 1

It seems also stuck on this one. Also tried to disable module which is known to be problematic :

esxcli system module set --enabled=false --module=vmw_ahci

No luck either...
Anyone please ?

I didn't use ssh so far, I use that only if I need to fix something. So far I didn't noticed anything wrong; if you want I could try some things in ssh as long as I don't have to brake anything. Just tell me what harmless commands I could try via ssh and I'll tell you how it goes for me.

• 5 weeks later...

I had loads of problems I wanted it on the inside sd card slot it installed but kept hanging and behaving really odd. I tried another sd card same problem. In the end I used the inside usb port and it works perfect. Setup an itunes win 10 for the missus and passed through the iPhone to back it up. Plugged in one of those cheapo usb sound cards with two jacks on it for mic and speakers and passed that through. Setup xpenology that was an absolute pain in the .. but got it working with ds cam and it is spot on. I think copying stuff to it might not be super fast only done pics and music at around 20 - 50 mb speed. Only gripe I have is I have an i3 3240 wish I had a xeon so I could try and pass through a graphics card but oh well need to track down a cheap i5 that should let me do that. I used ahci. Didn't bother trying the raid b120i.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk