RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Trig0r

Sophos UTM

Trig0r

So, got my new server setup and have UTM on a VM, basic install, traffic flows and all is well, want to get a few groups setup though, one for my machines with no blocking or filtering, then one for the kids..

Anyone seen any decent guides or is it a case of RTFM?

Dave

Mike Faucher's site covers Sophos.  

http://thedocsworld.net/

I wouldn't mind knowing all the resources you find. List them here.  I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking about something like this again.

nrf

if you are talking UTM and not NG Firewall, 'drashna' did a series of blog posts that are more direct than reading the manual, although the manul is very comprehensive and a good read.

pcdoc

Great question, which version are you using.

Trig0r

Using UTM 9.408-4, I'll have a read of the links above, if Chris has something on his site then I'll start there :D

Trig0r

Anyone managed to get bandwidth throttling working properly, want to be able to limit the offspring taking up all the wifi bandwidth by creating rules on the UTM box.

Has anyone managed to get it working properly, have created a group with the MAC of all devices I want to limit but anything I setup doesn't seem to want to play ball...

Drashna Jaelre

Anyone managed to get bandwidth throttling working properly, want to be able to limit the offspring taking up all the wifi bandwidth by creating rules on the UTM box.

Has anyone managed to get it working properly, have created a group with the MAC of all devices I want to limit but anything I setup doesn't seem to want to play ball...

I have it enabled for services, but not devices.

Give me a couple of days, and I'll see about getting guides up. 

• Like 1

Trig0r

It works simlpy enough for the interfaces, the rules are in there to start with, set the speed, enable them, done.

I had a poke on the Sophos forums and theres loads of people saying it just plain doesnt work..

Ideally, I want to be able to limit device groups (MAC), per interface as the eldest will sit on the wifi with his XBOne playing games and chatting to someone while he's playing YouTube videos on his phone and Facetiming someone else on his iPad, then the rest of the house cant even stream Plex from the server to the FireTV sticks..

I suppose I could setup a WiFi network for him to use while the rest of the house uses another but would rather it all be done centrally by UTM...

Drashna Jaelre

Well, you can set a rule to be "per user" and cap the speed that they can get, so they cannot saturate the connection.  Set it for HTTP/HTTPS, and that should be simple enough. 

Additionally, if you open up the real time traffic monitor section, it has the option to shape/throttle the traffic right then and there.