RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Cable Modem Conundrum

Dave

I finally landed on the Netgear.  http://fave.co/2lQzVpz . No problems since putting it in action.

NETGEAR CM600 24x8 Cable Modem DOCSIS 3.0 Max Download Speeds of 960Mbps. Certified for XFINITY by Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Cox, Charter & more (CM600-100NAS)

Amazon $90

Jason

Appreciate the feedback. Just contacted Cox Business Home Internet support. Said they don't support the Netgear CM600 cable modem. Although it's DOCSIS 3.0, usually don't have luck registering 3.0 modems on their network unless listed. They do support the CM400 3.0 8x4 modem.

My SB6141 is also 3.0 8x4. So comparable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Jason

nrf

if all have docsis 3 the potential for performance/bandwidth is the number of channels that it will bond, the more the channels the more expensive the modem (usually).

jmwills

Interesting reading again. We too have no other option other than Comcast however Google Fiber is in town so guess what, Comcast starts laying fiber EVERYWHERE.  I t will be interesting to see how this rolls out.  I will say the contractors they hired to lay the fiber are doing a really good job of the work.  If you didn't know what they were doing, you would have no idea.

Comcast modem?  Never heard of her.

• Like 1

nrf

in the us, amazon.com has the sb6141 for $49 right now, listed as 'new'. they claim it is rated for 343 mbps

Dave

Appreciate the feedback. Just contacted Cox Business Home Internet support. Said they don't support the Netgear CM600 cable modem. Although it's DOCSIS 3.0, usually don't have luck registering 3.0 modems on their network unless listed. They do support the CM400 3.0 8x4 modem.

My SB6141 is also 3.0 8x4. So comparable.

Digging this back up again. Next chapter.  I keep getting disconnects from the cable network.  The modem looks connected. All green lights but no TCP/IP traffic.  Usually it's SmartThings that tells me the network is down.  Sometimes a Synology.  More often than not those other people in my house are yelling at me that the wifi is out.

You can wait it out or reboot the cable modem and as soon as it boots back up you get IP traffic.  When this happens the Eeros freak out too.  

Of course I've called xfinity but it's SO FREAKING PAINFUL to talk to them.  My CM600 is listed as supported too.  I may have to try them again or consider rerunning the drop from the outside NID to the modem.  Such a pain. Ok, rant over.

Jason

I did end up buying a CM600, calling back Cox Business and the next tech I spoke with added the modem to the network in under 5 minutes! Has been solid so far. Appreciate the recommendation.

• Like 1