RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Cable Modem Conundrum

Dave

Oh how I wish I was back on fiber. Comcast is a mess.  I was having some issues and they told me that my cable modem was out of date and would need to be replaced.  They could send me on if I wished. Ha! I don't really want their gear and their xfinity wifi hotspot blasting my house so I opted for a new arris modem.  http://amzn.to/2fK3OWN  Anyone else play the comcast game?  Don't even get me started on their new data cap.

Drashna Jaelre

I'm glad I don't, but  i know plenty of people that do.

They go out of their way to win that "Worst Company in America" award.....

If you have issues with them, pursue legal action. It's the only way to resolve problems, from what I understand. 

cskenney

I was thinking Tony Raynor may have just went thru this too.

Drashna Jaelre

Yeah, I think he did.  Or one of the many similiar companies to comcast. 

nrf

I made the switch to personal cable modem long ago. allergic to rental fees of course.

I am doing ok with sb6141 as I only get 60 mbit, but I have heard great things about some of these docsis 3 modems higher in the product line.

• Like 1

Al_Borges

I'm glad I don't, but  i know plenty of people that do.

They go out of their way to win that "Worst Company in America" award.....

If you have issues with them, pursue legal action. It's the only way to resolve problems, from what I understand. 

Its telling that the only time in the last 10 years they didnt win the "worst company in America" award was the year after  BP's Gulf Oil Disaster

I had to threaten legal action to get back a "balance due"   - after I dumped them.

Jason

Do these higher end Docsis 3.0 modems offer any performance benefits for 50 or 60 Mbps services at all? Wasn't sure whether multiple bonded channels do anything or service is only as fast as it is...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nrf

I previously had 30mbit service and recently got a bump to 50. my speed test shows 60 mbit smooth as silk, because the modem can handle it and the 'cap' is put in place by the ISP. basically, the way I understand it is the more bonded channels the higher peak speed you can potentially get. If the ISP caps it below what the modem can handle it is still contributing to the stability of that speed. my medium model uses 8 channels down and 4 channels up.