RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Using Powerline AV for Ethernet Backhaul

erferris

Has anyone utilized Powerline AV adapters to connect Luma hub to Luma nodes rather than running Cat5 cable?  

If so, did you have success?  

If not, do you think it would work better than using wireless to connect nodes?

• Like 1

Great idea.  Have not tried it as a back haul but have tried many for direct connect.  "If" they work, it should not be an issues unfortunately many powerline adapters do not have good bandwidth depending on your home.  If you have used a powerline adapter in your particular home before than I would try it, otherwise buy from a place that you can return the product and give a shot.  My experience with powerline has not been very good.

Just wanted to post an update to my original question and share my experience.  My house is about 20 years old so it should not be plagued with "old wiring" like some homes have.  I purchased the HooToo 600MB Powerline AV2 set and put them to work.  Once paired, i tested them in various outlets around my house.  My wifi router is in the office, and in there i can get 150MB download consistenly, based on the Speedtest website (this is the speed i pay for).  Now i introduce the Powerline device into the mix and in the same office, i'm getting about 85MB download consistenly.  Not bad, but i would not have expected that large of a drop.  Then I take one endpoint of the Powerline system and go into various bedrooms in the house and i'm getting speeds in the range of 4MB to 45MB,  The room at the other end of the house i find an outlet that gets me 25MB and that's where i decide to put my 2nd Luma node.  In the basement i'm getting readings of 4MB and no more than 10MB.  The basement is newly remodeled and has it's own panel so perhaps this is why?  At any rate, i decide to just let Luma 3 node connect wirelessly to the Luma 1 hub.

Seems like the Powerline AV solution works, but not as well as I had hoped.  

Anyone have experience in MoCA?  I have cable jacks in most rooms when I'd like to use this and might be an option.

If all else fails i think i'll need to try to run Cat5 to 2 locations (1 in basement and 1 on 2nd floor) to get some better speeds.

Just wanted to post an update to my original question and share my experience.  My house is about 20 years old so it should not be plagued with "old wiring" like some homes have.  I purchased the HooToo 600MB Powerline AV2 set and put them to work.  Once paired, i tested them in various outlets around my house.  My wifi router is in the office, and in there i can get 150MB download consistenly, based on the Speedtest website (this is the speed i pay for).  Now i introduce the Powerline device into the mix and in the same office, i'm getting about 85MB download consistenly.  Not bad, but i would not have expected that large of a drop.  Then I take one endpoint of the Powerline system and go into various bedrooms in the house and i'm getting speeds in the range of 4MB to 45MB,  The room at the other end of the house i find an outlet that gets me 25MB and that's where i decide to put my 2nd Luma node.  In the basement i'm getting readings of 4MB and no more than 10MB.  The basement is newly remodeled and has it's own panel so perhaps this is why?  At any rate, i decide to just let Luma 3 node connect wirelessly to the Luma 1 hub.

Seems like the Powerline AV solution works, but not as well as I had hoped.  

Anyone have experience in MoCA?  I have cable jacks in most rooms when I'd like to use this and might be an option.

If all else fails i think i'll need to try to run Cat5 to 2 locations (1 in basement and 1 on 2nd floor) to get some better speeds.

Welcome to the world of powerline.  You have had much the same experience as I have had but a bit more extreme.  There are many factors in powerline and age is only a minor one.  Number of connections, lenght, noise, appliances and other factors play a large role.  I always wanted to like powerline but in the 10 years and two locations I have I tried it, I always come with the same result.  It you have cable running through your house you could try moca adapters if the WiFi does not work out.

• 2 weeks later...

I never had good luck with powerline adapters.  Very inconsistent.  I have had good luck with moca adapters though, and I have 3 of my 4 Luma's connected through moca adapters with good speed and stability.  I am using these Yitong moca 2.0 adapters YTMC-51N1-M2.  I have them on my home coax with one at the internet switch and they all seem to work well.

Scott

I never had good luck with powerline adapters.  Very inconsistent.  I have had good luck with moca adapters though, and I have 3 of my 4 Luma's connected through moca adapters with good speed and stability.  I am using these Yitong moca 2.0 adapters YTMC-51N1-M2.  I have them on my home coax with one at the internet switch and they all seem to work well.

Scott

This sounds like a great option.  I just got a new modem from XFinity that has Moca enabled (DPC3941T).  So in this case, i have my cable inbound to my Modem, so all I would need is one of the Yitong adapters you listed at another outlet in my house, plugged in to the cable jack with the ethernet cable coming out of the Yitong adapter and into the In port on my Luma?  Also need to purchase a Moca filter to put on my line so the neighbors aren't poaching the signal as well.

This sounds like a great option.  I just got a new modem from XFinity that has Moca enabled (DPC3941T).  So in this case, i have my cable inbound to my Modem, so all I would need is one of the Yitong adapters you listed at another outlet in my house, plugged in to the cable jack with the ethernet cable coming out of the Yitong adapter and into the In port on my Luma?  Also need to purchase a Moca filter to put on my line so the neighbors aren't poaching the signal as well.

I'm not familiar with how the XFinity Moca works, but if it supports 2.0 standard, then I would imagine it would work.  The Yitong adapters work well with my Tivo Mini devices over Moca, so different devices seem to work fine.  I have the ethernet cable going from the Yitong to the IN port on my Luma.

I'm not familiar with how the XFinity Moca works, but if it supports 2.0 standard, then I would imagine it would work.  The Yitong adapters work well with my Tivo Mini devices over Moca, so different devices seem to work fine.  I have the ethernet cable going from the Yitong to the IN port on my Luma.

I should have my Yitong devices today sometime, but might need a little help on the networking.  Assuming the following:

Cable from wall into Modem

Modem is in Bridged Mode and Moca Enabled

Cat5 cable going from Modem Port 1 to my Luma Hub In port, so Luma is acting as the Router and DHCP Server

I have a cable outlet in a room upstairs on opposite side of house that I plan on connecting the Yitong device to, then the Cat5 cable from there to a Luma Node In

This is where i'm confused on the networking.  Will the Luma Node be able to connect to the Luma Hub via Moca if it has to run through the Cable Modem which is in Bridge Mode?

My other thought is that I need 2 Yitong Adapters with a cable splitter coming out of the wall.  One cable line goes into my Cable Modem (this time with Moca disabled) and the other cable line into my Yitong adapter.

Cable Modem port 1 still connects to Luma Hub In port.

Luma Hub out port connects to Yitong Adapter 1 ethernet port

Yitong Adapter 2 connects to cable jack in 2nd bedroom and Yitong Adapter 2 ethernet port connects to Luma Node In port.

I may need to just use "trial and error" but if others have succeeded with this is the past it would be helpful.

I finally got everything setup properly and am having great wifi performance throughout the house.  I purchased the Yitong MoCA devices as mentioned above (2 of them) and hooked them up to my coaxial network.  Since i'm not using the coax jacks in one of the bedrooms, it was very easy as nothing was in the way.  I actually included a diagram as to what my setup looks like in case anyone else would like to try it out.  Performance is way better than Powerline AV.  I'm getting 160 MBps in the upstairs bedroom that is connected via MoCA, which i find to be incredible.  I'm paying Comcast for 150 MBps and they said if fluctuates a bit +/- 20 Mbps or so depending on load.  With a Luma node hooked up to the ethernet port of the MoCA adapter, it connects via Ethernet Backhaul to the Luma hub so there's very little degradation of signal.

Hope this helps.

Home Network.png