RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

GEN8 and Win2016 server

britishkiwi

• 1 month later...

I am planning on doing a server upgrade from 2012R2 to 2016 on my Gen8.

Is there anything I should be aware of?

Not sure if they've fixed the driver issue yet but the NIC's have the same issue with the old 2012 drivers and them falling off of the network, its well documented on here but is fixable in the same way as the 2012 issue.

Other than that I have 2016 running on mine fine before it was replaced by Frank..

I tried to do an upgrade (in-place from WS2012R2) and it's just told me it's restoring my previous version of Windows.

Is there anything I need to do for the upgrade to be successful?

I re ran the setup and it worked fine the second time - strange!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also planning an in-place upgrade from Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2016.

My server is used for Hyper-V (just a single VM also running 2012 R2 with IIS and MySQL) and storage.

My storage config is physical 4 x 2TB drives in internal bays all combined into a Storage Pool using Storage Spaces.

Disk 0 - MBR partition and the bootable OS drive

Disk 1,2,3 (GPT partition) combined into a virtual disk in mirror config giving 4TB usable.

I do recall network driver quirks with 2012 R2 install and also storage drivers (RAID arrays not detected) thus why I'm in a SATA JBOD style config.

Did any of you hit any quirks during upgrade that you needed to manage or did it "just work"?

Thanks in advance!