RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP P222 and WD 8TB

buranov

Hello,

Sorry for my English. :(

I have MicroServer G8, HP Smart Array P222 and 4 HDD WD 8TB.

After disconnet power wire my P222 don't see HDD in 1 and 2 bay (in 3 and 4 all OK).

I have no idea why. This isn't hdd (I tryd change of replace HDDs).

After run HPSA utility (during the server start), and after F2 (in next start) all was fine.

But after disconnet power I have the same situation.

Can anybody help me?

Thank you!

P.S. Controller Firmware Version: 8.00, HDD model WDC WD80EFZX-68U, HDD Firmware Revision: 83.H0A83

I have 4 HDD to 8 TB. They run into a RAID-array. I have a hardware RAID controller HP Smart Array P222.

If I disconnect the power from the server, after the start of the controller does not see the first two drives (bay 1 and bay 2). only 3 and 4 are seen. The situation is corrected by rebooting and logging in the controller configurator. Then I reboot the server, HDD controller identifies and invites me to rebuild the array (F2 clicking). After that, everything works well. Data is not damaged.

Or, I can pull out and insert discs from bay 1 and 2, also to restart the server and press F2 during boot. 

If I do not turn off the power physicaly - this failure doesnt occur. I mean to say that this event takes place only after the full server blackout.

Has anyone encountered a similar failure? Any idea what the reasons could be?

P.S.: HP replied - they cannot say anything if drives are non-HP

Maybe the server cannot supply enough power for all the hard drives.

What CPU do you have? Try disconnecting all other devices from it, like usb devices or anything you might have.

Two possibilities in my opinion:

1 - Controller isn't saving Drive Array data once machine is off (Battery Issue Maybe)

2 (More Likely) If the 8TB disks are anything like mine they take an age to spool up and the drives don't respond to the controllers polling request quick enough, Does it do this will all drives?

Two possibilities in my opinion:

1 - Controller isn't saving Drive Array data once machine is off (Battery Issue Maybe)

2 (More Likely) If the 8TB disks are anything like mine they take an age to spool up and the drives don't respond to the controllers polling request quick enough, Does it do this will all drives?

It interesting you mention this, I thought I was the only one! My 8TB reds only work in RAID/Legacy mode. In AHCI mode they get spun up and turned off a couple of times, but not quickly enough to be detected. It's a pity the bios can't get them started earlier before moving onto detection, and no timeout options :/

In regards to the time out issue, What you could do is set the post mode from quick to full or whatever the option is that will mean post is longer but the drives will also be fired up by then. I had no issues with 1 x 8tb but now I have a few I see issues.

I am using the standard B120i mind you. Firmware up to date on the P222?

Thanks

In regards to the time out issue, What you could do is set the post mode from quick to full or whatever the option is that will mean post is longer but the drives will also be fired up by then. I had no issues with 1 x 8tb but now I have a few I see issues. I am using the standard B120i mind you. Firmware up to date on the P222? Thanks

The bios doesn't seem to power the drives until it reaches the detection phase, it turns them on, off, then on again! Not had any detection issues in B120i RAID mode (only the first time when I switch the mode, needs a poweroff). Sadly the server has had a good 45 seconds before it even reaches AHCI initialisation, so it must be how it detects the drive.

Hi,

CPU is Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1265L V2 @ 2.50GHz.

I think 200W more than enough.

And this issue I have only on cold start.

Does the issue follow the bays at cold start or the drives? If it's always 1+2 it might be the drives initialise too slowly for the P222 to detect them, where 3+4 are just long enough to get started.

It interesting you mention this, I thought I was the only one! My 8TB reds only work in RAID/Legacy mode. In AHCI mode they get spun up and turned off a couple of times, but not quickly enough to be detected. It's a pity the bios can't get them started earlier before moving onto detection, and no timeout options :/

Yes... It looks like my issue. 

FW in P222 8.00 - the last firmware.