RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
MalastiC

[Photos] Putting water cooling in Gen 8 with Xeon.

cyberboblouth

Fantastic photos and write up thank you.  Going to do this myself to cool my E3-1240v2, currently on 2x cores only and no turbo due to high temps.  I will update once built.  Not my first water cooled custom machine - I O/C the AMD Axia Y 1Ghz back in the day to 1.37GHz stable for a +13C on room temperatureDSCF0030.thumb.JPG.203ea2f65141cf9adeb118259dfe8c63.JPGemperature.

nrf

MalastiC, I'm impressed! I once bought a water cooling rig and was put off by the work required to get it mounted somewhere it could let the heat out. wow!

I suspect your original problem was caused by faulting assembly or cheap heat goop but thanks for the GREAT contribution to the forum and may you enjoy every one of your movies!

Edited by nrf

Trig0r

I've always been under the impression that radiators need to be stood up, not laying flat, otherwise you're more likely to get air lcok issues..

PEte_79

Wouldn't you get even better temps if you turn the fan around?

In my experience you want to suck the warm air out from the case, not blow room temp air in to the case.

cyberboblouth

I haven't tidied up the wiring or even got the 2nd fan running yet but as an update:

With Turbo disabled the E3-1240v2  at 4x cores was approaching 90C under stress testing, reducing to 2x cores got this to high 70s.

Now water cooled I am back at 4x cores with Turbo enabled and under stress testing getting 71C max for an ambient of 23C (so +41C).  Idle is 41C itself and does drop even lower.

A couple of things I noticed:

1. The OP has slightly bent the feet of the  frame that holds down the water block to align with the unusual screw pattern of the board, there is a pair of pliers in his picture but I missed it.  By doing this you won't get perfect alignment of the hold down frame with the water block - it looks off centre (see pic)

2. I went with the original heatsink screws as the thread of those adapters that OP uses are incorrect.  As the screws are not long enough I double stacked some motherboard mounting screws (see pic)

3. I don't know how OP got the radiator stuck on the rear, the screw holes don't line up.  I found a PCI back plate that was ventilated and cut it up for a mounting (see pic)

I will update after I tidy the power supply wiring for the pump and connect the extra fan which will be mounted for extraction as per previous post comment.  After that the next stages are PicoPSU and GTX1050 card (to replace the current 7470)

20190314_180216.jpg

20190314_172710.jpg

20190314_180217.jpg

cyberboblouth

Further work done:

1. I located the Molex power connector at top of case, in my parts box was a fan with Molex interrupt that that then dropped out a 12V power line (see pic) - now I have 12V for my pump and fan (which tested at 12V is quiet enough anyway). For the moment I have soldered the wires and used heat shrink but later I will add a connector so tray can be removed with ease.  Note, blue light seems to be on by default (not my preference)

2. To get the motherboard to fully insert I added a spacer to move the radiator further back, another part from the H600 box

3. I did add a latch to hold the motherboard tray fully inserted but when you close the case up the lid holds it all together anyway

Temps: with an ambient of 28C, the idle is 35C and under stress test this rises to 57C.  This is still with 4x cores enabled as well as Turbo

I did some performance testing and she's a beast!  Very happy

20190315_093411.jpg

20190315_124740.jpg

cyberboblouth

Some extra images

20190320_085615.jpg

20190320_085629.jpg

20190320_085638.jpg

20190320_085651.jpg

cyberboblouth

With that 2nd fan now running and an ambient room temp of 28C the CPU idle is 35C reaching 57C under synthetic full stress.  Drops to 35C instantly when loads reduces

CPU Temps.JPG

schoondoggy
I haven't tidied up the wiring or even got the 2nd fan running yet but as an update:
With Turbo disabled the E3-1240v2  at 4x cores was approaching 90C under stress testing, reducing to 2x cores got this to high 70s.
Now water cooled I am back at 4x cores with Turbo enabled and under stress testing getting 71C max for an ambient of 23C (so +41C).  Idle is 41C itself and does drop even lower.
A couple of things I noticed:
1. The OP has slightly bent the feet of the  frame that holds down the water block to align with the unusual screw pattern of the board, there is a pair of pliers in his picture but I missed it.  By doing this you won't get perfect alignment of the hold down frame with the water block - it looks off centre (see pic)
2. I went with the original heatsink screws as the thread of those adapters that OP uses are incorrect.  As the screws are not long enough I double stacked some motherboard mounting screws (see pic)
3. I don't know how OP got the radiator stuck on the rear, the screw holes don't line up.  I found a PCI back plate that was ventilated and cut it up for a mounting (see pic)
I will update after I tidy the power supply wiring for the pump and connect the extra fan which will be mounted for extraction as per previous post comment.  After that the next stages are PicoPSU and GTX1050 card (to replace the current 7470)
20190314_180216.thumb.jpg.175d94096bdb04123604e7d12fc002b3.jpg
20190314_172710.thumb.jpg.6acf27256e0ace81fa070829616cd71d.jpg
20190314_180217.thumb.jpg.970e83fd2cbbd40be410b770446c730a.jpg
Very nice work! Thanks for posting.

Trig0r

Thats a pretty tidy install tbh