RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Update to the Shield HD Audio on Plex

pcdoc

I have had the nVidia shield now since the release.  Initially I was disappointed as the the audio pass through did not function correctly, so using it as a primary playback source to replace my HTPC was not an option.  Since then they have released an update to the firmware (and to the apps) and I am thrilled that everything now works.  DTS-HD, TrueHD all pass through to the receiver and are correctly detected when using Plex.  It works so well that I have officially pulled out my HTPC and have retired it.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• pcdoc
      By pcdoc
      Well I received my shield on Saturday and immediately hooked it up.

Pros:
      1. Setup was painless.
      2. The performance was amazing.  By far the quickest I have seen from any media playback device.
      3. Playback quality was great.  I did not see any issues and it played every bit as good as my HTPC.
      4. DTS-Ma audio pass through perfectly to the reciever.

Cons:
      1. TrueHD sound tracks still not supported which means 30% of my existing movies do not pass through the receiver and end up playing as PCM not the native sound track.
      2. Audio controls are a bit quirky in Plex.  There seems to be an overlap in functionality and they do not necessarily behave as you would expect.

Once again we have another one of these devices that claims pass through that does not work correctly.  Yes it is the closest I have seen yet but it is not quite there yet.  Not sure if I am going to keep this.