RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

M1015 flash fails on HP Gen8 MicroServer

mnbf9rca

I have an HP Gen8 microserver. I disabled the onboard storage controller in the bios, and installed my M1015 card. I downloaded LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P11).zip - 5.87 MB from here: https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12767.0 and followed the instructions exactly, although (my fault) I didn't complete step 1 (as the ID is on the label) or step 2 (as I'm a dumbass). Step 3 went as expected but step 4 just reports "No LSI SAS adapters found! Limited Command Set Available" and aborts. 

I tried instructions here: https://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/ and get the same

but get the same problem. Then I downloaded the original IBM ROM from the IBM website, and extracted M1000FW.ROM. Using 

megarec -cleanflash 0 M1000FW.ROM

I get:

MegaRAID HWR Controller Recovery tool. Version 01.01-004 February 05, 2010
Copyright (c) 2006-2008 LSI Corp.
Supports 1079 controller and its Successors

Erasing Flash Chip (8MB)....
 Completed: 100%
Flashing Image. Please wait...

Currently flashing component = BIOS
Programming Flash....
Verifying the Flashed Data...

Currently flashing component = HIIM
Programming Flash....
Verifying the Flashed Data...

Currently flashing component = APP
Error in downloading the image.
Error code = 64
Failed to flash the image. Please retry recovery

Has anyone else had any success flashing this card in a Gen8 microserver? Was there anything specific you needed to do? Failing that - would anyone like to earn a bit of money flashing the card for me? Or recommend a cheap motherboard I can get on ebay to do the trick?

I have a newer version of the lsi (2308) it flashes fine

be very careful once you issue the erase command you have to flash atleast the main p20 file / p11 or whatever you are using

or its a brick as far as i have read on the matter

though there may or may not be unbrick methods (havnt checked)

i dont think it's bricked. The wipe commands always require a reboot - so i assume it'll be fine. from what i read the problems come if you partially flash.

Ok so I figured it out - despite buying an M1015 the vendor actually sent me an M5015. I didnt notice at first, but exploring with megarec -adplist it showed the type as 2108v - which is clearly not an m1015. I reflashed it with the m5015 firmware and sbm and all was fine. Now to get a refund from eBay…