RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
izov

Upgrading from Windows Server 2012 to 2016 on SD Card

izov

Hello,

I have Gen8 and have installed the WS2012 OS on the SD. All good, but now I want to upgrade to WS2016. Of course, doing so in the normal way doesn't work. As I don't want to reinstall from scratch, do you have an idea for a workaround?

Also - do you know what will happen with my data on the HDDs that are configured in RAID through the OS in case something happens with the OS / SD card?

Thanks!

Kiril

rich1983

Pretty sure I read something on MS having a migration strategy. Did you think to visit the MS website to see if there is an answer there?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

jmwills

Hello,

I have Gen8 and have installed the WS2012 OS on the SD. All good, but now I want to upgrade to WS2016. Of course, doing so in the normal way doesn't work. As I don't want to reinstall from scratch, do you have an idea for a workaround?

Also - do you know what will happen with my data on the HDDs that are configured in RAID through the OS in case something happens with the OS / SD card?

Thanks!

Kiril

Your data is going to go poof!  What about your backups?

izov

Pretty sure I read something on MS having a migration strategy. Did you think to visit the MS website to see if there is an answer there?

I did. It doesnt say anything about the scenario where the OS is deployed on a SD card. Setup simply fails with an error message.

Your data is going to go poof! What about your backups?

I have backups, all is good on that end. I just want to avoid installing and setting up everything from scratch...

rich1983

Yeah it's not supported. I certainly wouldn't do it as Windows will write so much data it'll ruin the disk quick.