RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 107, What do you think ?

diehard

Replace Media Center? This one has it all, well almost. Re-takes, pauses, technical difficulties, laughs, hidden jokes, news, media center, Windows Home Server, Apple, ustream, and of course, Dave, Jim, and John. Replace Media Center? What’s Dave thinking??? Listen up and hit the forums!

We covered a lot this week.

What do you think about Jim's comments about Technet lowering the amount of licenses you get after you paid ?

Rim will be releasing the Playbook. looks like the slate/tablet PC wiil be in full swing this Christmas. Will you buy one ? How will you add it to your Windows Home Server ecosystem ?

Media Center interfacing, what are you doing about it and your home server ?

Have you been testing Vail/Aurora ? What about the addins ? Now's the time to let the developer know what you like and don't and want in your favorite addins ? They do visit this site.

What do you think about the La Cie Big 5 and Seagate's 12TB NAS ? will you buy one ? Or is it just not a Windows Home Server ? Way to much money ?

What about Small Business Server 7 ? would you try it ? Do you care ?

Listen to Paul Thurrott

at Frugal Tech Live.

Thanks Guys, enjoy October.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• usacomp2k3

• pcdoc

This is my rambling/unprepared episode. The media center questions have been on my mind for a while though. I got a tweet from scottbakertemp saying he has several Dish boxes and a Media Center.

Sooo.... In this age of reducing our cable and satellite subscriptions while moving towards Internet and streaming content what about those of us that want to keep our hulking dish outside and pay for premium content? There is no easy and reliable way to get Dish content into MC. If I subscribe to HD channels on dish there will be no compelling reason to switch over to MC except for the kids movies. That's when the MC replacement question comes to mind.

The perfect streaming box? Is it out there?

Netflix with no extra fees

Stream DVD rips, preferably formats supported by MyMovies

Controllable by iPad

Low power

Fast start

Play AVCHD .mts .m2ts content (15468kbps video / 256kbps audio)

Play Blu-Ray rips

Photo Slideshow (would be nice to have dynamic slideshows so i can upload photos with the Eye-Fi and have them appear in the slideshow instantly. All the while streaming a playlist of tunes.

I don't want much do I? I'm sure I'll think of more! Feel free to add your own.

I saw something yesterday that looked cool. It's a mobile mouse that runs on your ipad or iphone and it works for Media Center. That's pretty cool. I want the ability to control my living room experience from the iPad.

Dave: I have the same situation as you

I am rural but do get dsl, although very slow less than 1 meg, called basic by att.

therefore it is impossible to get everything off of the internet.

I recently upgraded my Dish HD Receiver to the 922 model with slingbox, and It gets great HD reception for a Satalite

But i am not sure i can use the slingbox part.

However if you purchase the over the air adapter for the 922 reciever you can record up to 4 signals at a time.

Two sat and two over the air HD. the over the air HD is somewhat better than sat for quality, the 922 gets a better quality

HD signal than my old HD receiver the 622 model

The DVR is a much easier method of watching TV, In my opinion.

Hope this helps

addict

Hey addict, thank you for your thoughts.

I'm having trouble justifying the 922 when the ios sling app is $30 and they don't have any hardware available to sling within the home. I'm used to the older DVR model where it has two TV's. One outputs downstairs and one upstairs so both TV's can watch separate programming. We use the RF remote upstairs while the box is down. If it was capable of two different HD outputs it would be a different story. That or get the Sling hardware to market. I saw it at CES and it's on the site as coming soon.

The other option is one HD output and one SD output. That's no good either! Come on Dish Network, get slinging!

If we answer your question now, it will detract from an upcoming episode of BYOB. The short answer it that there is not "one" perfect solution at least in my opinion. I have tried the popcorn (two models), WD live, the new Apple TV, and the HDX 1000 (popcorn clone) along with the HTPC. In addition, I have direct TV with multi-room viewing and to cover everything, you need at "least" two solutions. The closet thing to a perfect box is the popcorn A-200 which awesome for in house content (an improvement over the A-110). The new Apple TV excels at Netflix, rentals, and music but does not play local content to speak of (except for what is on iTunes). Just my two cents

I am hoping this is the place for this. I am listening to 107 and I think I have heard comment about this in past episodes as well. Hopefully you don't mention this later in the show as i am only about 30 minutes in.

You guys have your whs box and then you have a media center where you are using your hdhomerun to record shows via media center. It sounds like you then move the recordings over to your whs box.

To record your shows on the media center do you fire that thing up when you want to record the show or do you schedule the shows and have 2 machines running 24/7?

The reason I ask is, i have an ex495 and have been running gbpvr on there for around 8 months to do all my recordings and it works great! To schedule the shows there is a web utility that allows you setup your recordings, etc. Something you guys should consider and check out.

I agree with Jim. Microsoft should have gone forward with the new Technet limits for any new customers or renewals.

I heard Paul Thurrott's comments on Windows Weekly about the Technet license reduction. He indicated Microsoft was not happy with people buying the subscription and activating 10 licenses all over the country. Sounds like they are concerned about abuse. So what did their fix do? Stop the abusers? Well, my guess is the abusers already have their 10 licenses. Seems to me Microsoft is mass punishing the innocent.

Concerning the changes in the TechNet subscriptions, it would seem a lawyer could have a field day with this. You paid for 10 licenses; money was exchanged; you have a contract. I am not a lawyer and do not play one on TV, but the boys in Redmond have made some enemies with this boneheaded decision. There are ways to beat the system with virtualization of which we will not discuss here.

Small Business Server 7....I will be changing when I get home next summer. I like it just as much as Vail and Aurora.

If we answer your question now, it will detract from an upcoming episode of BYOB. The short answer it that there is not "one" perfect solution at least in my opinion. I have tried the popcorn (two models), WD live, the new Apple TV, and the HDX 1000 (popcorn clone) along with the HTPC. In addition, I have direct TV with multi-room viewing and to cover everything, you need at "least" two solutions. The closet thing to a perfect box is the popcorn A-200 which awesome for in house content (an improvement over the A-110). The new Apple TV excels at Netflix, rentals, and music but does not play local content to speak of (except for what is on iTunes). Just my two cents

Ooooh..... Something to look forward to! I didn't mean to give anything away though. I guess I should pay more attention to your notes!