RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
peterweb

Server 2016 Standard with Essentials role

peterweb

I seem to have done it.  :)

I used "DISM /online /Set-Edition:<edition ID> /ProductKey:XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX /AcceptEula"

Even though I had AD DS from the Essentials role installed and the instruction number 1 said to move the Domain Controller, the command worked to change the install from eval to standard. Only glitch I had was the activation did not want to work. After a couple of restarts to see if that would help, I clicked on the activation troubleshooter, and all is good to go.

Thanks for your help.

I'll be back if I run into anything else I cannot handle.

asdaHP

Good to hea

I seem to have done it.  :)

I used "DISM /online /Set-Edition:<edition ID> /ProductKey:XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX /AcceptEula"

Even though I had AD DS from the Essentials role installed and the instruction number 1 said to move the Domain Controller, the command worked to change the install from eval to standard. Only glitch I had was the activation did not want to work. After a couple of restarts to see if that would help, I clicked on the activation troubleshooter, and all is good to go.

Thanks for your help.

I'll be back if I run into anything else I cannot handle.

Good to hear!! Il make a note of the restarts as an option. Have fun.

nrf

thanks for contributing your experience to the forum. posts such as this are very valuable to those of us who will travel down the same path later!

Edited by nrf

peterweb

One other thing to note.

I have not run into any problems with my question about the CALs. All clients are getting backed up automatically, the file histories are saved, remote access works, and I have access to Shared Folders from all clients. No errors related to CALs (yet).

asdaHP

One other thing to note.

I have not run into any problems with my question about the CALs. All clients are getting backed up automatically, the file histories are saved, remote access works, and I have access to Shared Folders from all clients. No errors related to CALs (yet).

Wanted to add that I have installed server standard 2016 and reinstalled drivepool on it. By the way do you have user accounts for shared folder access set up? I set up one standard user account. However on the client pc which is not in the domain (i used the domain skip method of 12r2 from "tinkerty connect"), i get an error message whenever i try to access the shared folders as follows : "Windows cannot access \\xxxxserver\shared folders Check the spelling of the name.....Error code 0x80070035". Not sure how to get access to the users shared folder when the user logs into the launchpad on the client computer.

peterweb

I too used the skip domain join. But I may be the wrong person to ask this. I used the Essentials Role Dashboard to create the standard user. From the properties page for that user, I was able to add access from the Shared Folders tab.  I have not has issues accessing the shared folders from the client.

I cannot find how to see that user in the Users Settings in Server 2016, or in Control Panel - Users. In fact, the only users I can see are administrator accounts. I have 4 users set up in the Essentials Dashboard.2 admins and 2 standard. Not sure what I am missing. I am using Remote Desktop to access the Server, if this helps understand what I am doing wrong.

• Like 1

peterweb

Correction to my previous post.

I just realized I had given admin status to the user I thought was a standard user. So I tried changing the user to standard, and I too lost access to shared files.

• Like 1

Drashna Jaelre

If that's the case, check the NTFS permissions on "C:\DFSRoot\Shared Folders"

• Like 1

asdaHP

Thanks @peterweb and @drashna. Unfortunately changing the standard user to admin didnt change the error message. In fact even I as the network administrator cannot access through launchpad the shared folders.

If that's the case, check the NTFS permissions on "C:\DFSRoot\Shared Folders"

Can you expand on this? I right clicked and under share had two options: share and advanced share. Under share, i see that the folder is shared to me and 'system'. So i added the standard user but that didnt change the problem. I am attaching a screenshot. Interestingly note that the standard user is listed under xxxdomain/nameofuser while i am listed below system without the domainprefix.

Also do i need to make a change under advanced share?

thanks

server shared folder issue.jpg

asdaHP

Interestingly i can access the user folder and shared folders such as video, photos from windows explorer (or file explorer) on the client pcs by expanding the network tab and picking the server. The first time i open the folder through windows explorer within the network tasks on the client pc  i am asked to log in. However the launchpad log in does not give me access to the shared folders!! I still get the same error message. Scratching my head as to where I am going wrong.

By the way, @drashna, do you recommend pointing the server folders to the drivepool drive (in my case F:) or is it recommended to point to the underlying physical drives?

thanks

Edited by asdaHP