RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Disapearing NIC's and Intelligent Provisioning.

thestraycat

Hi guys,

Two very strange issues that i bet no ones had... :) 

1. F10 Intelligent Privisioning dosnt work - Booted to a 2015 proliant pack and selected automatic update. After the updates F10 does nothing at all try's to initiate intelligent provisioning but defaults to looping back as it cant start. Only way to configure disks now on is from usb booting to HP SPP ISO and performing modifications to it from here.

2. NIC's totally dissapeared - No idea why... ESX 5.5 was being a bit a flakey after being left on for days on end and the NIC's were dropping off. Now when i enter the BIOS (J06) theres no mention of the NICs anywhere and the overview main page on the bios simply says "MAC address 1 = Disabled." "MAC address 2 = Disabled." But strangely iLO (on a different controller i suppose) still works fine...

Any experience?

F10 option disappears if you cancel the prompt the very first time you boot, no? I remember seeing something, configure iLO, or cancel and IPP wony prompt again.

As for NIC issues, did automated updates flash the wrong firmware? Ive only ever used manual on the SPP.

Hi guitaristanime - Yes i think it probably was auto update flashing the wrong firmware... do you have any experience with it?

I have the prompt for Intelligent provisioning and it's on in the BIOS but hitting F10 loops round and does nothing... 

Intelligent provisioning now reinstalled using IP recovery ISO... However the NIC's are a puzzle. No activity at all on the LED's in BIOS show as having no MAC addresses tried to renable through RBSU command line but theres no command. Must be fried. Anyone else suffered from a fried embedded NIC on the gen 8 Microserver?

• 4 months later...

I have the same issue. Have a funny feeling it was due to a ProLiant pack in Automatic mode. Never seen them since... I'm sure you can probably flash the bootcode back on somehow but theres no info about this issue ANYWHERE on the net that I've found or any info from anyone else that's done it other than a few HP Gen5 NIC issues ... SO gutted about it. In theory, the ProLiant pack shouldn't have brute forced the firmware on if it didn't match the signature of the hardware seems like you can't trust that safe-guard.

I think it depends which one you run... I've run around 3 since I've had it. If memory serves theres an overwrite/force you can select too. Might have been this.

Edited by thestraychow

Not sure if this helps, but there have been other issues with Broadcom based LOM disappearing after SPP over the years:

https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/HP-Proliant-DL380-G5-NIC-s-not-found-after-firmware-update/td-p/6256615

I recommend reading the entire thread before trying any of the steps listed.

Supermicro seems to be the source for the utility they are using:

ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/CDR-X9_1.30_for_Intel_X9_platform/Broadcom/UEFI/efi_xdiag64/usr/UXDIAG.pdf

Looks like the issue effects more than just HP:

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/recovering-bad-broadcom-cards.3485/

FYI working with these types of tools can brick your entire system.