RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
migueltg

ESXi 6.5 B120i (hpvsa) HP Microserver Gen8 Low performance

Trig0r

I'm getting "This download is no longer available." from that link...

Trig0r

S'ok someone else sent me a differnt link to the same file, grabbed it, although I am technicall not a Gen8 owner since yesterday...

VgzGG

the new update from OCT 7 still with the same problem. Tested by me upgrading from 6.0 to 6.5 U1

The only way to perfrom a "decent" I/O is working with the 5.5.0-88OEM driver. This is sadness

[root@ESXi6:~] for a in $(esxcfg-scsidevs -a |awk '{print $2}') ;do vmkload_mod -s $a |grep -i version ;done
 Version: Version 5.5.0.100-1OEM, Build: 1331820, Interface: 9.2 Built on: Jun 26 2015
 Version: 0.1-1vmw.650.1.26.5969303
[root@ESXi6:~] cd /var/log/vmware/
[root@ESXi6:/var/log/vmware] esxcli software vib remove -n scsi-hpvsa -f
Removal Result
   Message: The update completed successfully, but the system needs to be rebooted for the changes to be effective.
   Reboot Required: true
   VIBs Installed:
   VIBs Removed: HPE_bootbank_scsi-hpvsa_5.5.0.102-1OEM.550.0.0.1331820
   VIBs Skipped:
[root@ESXi6:/var/log/vmware] esxcli software vib install -v file:scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88OEM.550.0.0.1331820.x86_64.vib
 [VibDownloadError]
 ('scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88OEM.550.0.0.1331820.x86_64.vib', '/tmp/vibtransaction/tmp.vib', '[Errno 2] Local file does not exist: /var/log/vmware/scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88OEM.550.0.0.1331820.x86_64.vib')
        url = file:scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88OEM.550.0.0.1331820.x86_64.vib
 Please refer to the log file for more details.
[root@ESXi6:/var/log/vmware] ls
journal
[root@ESXi6:/var/log/vmware] ls
journal                                            scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88OEM.550.0.0.1331820.x86_64.vib
[root@ESXi6:/var/log/vmware] esxcli software vib install -v file:scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88OEM.550.0.0.1331820.x86_64.vib
Installation Result
   Message: The update completed successfully, but the system needs to be rebooted for the changes to be effective.
   Reboot Required: true
   VIBs Installed: Hewlett-Packard_bootbank_scsi-hpvsa_5.5.0-88OEM.550.0.0.1331820
   VIBs Removed:
   VIBs Skipped:
[root@ESXi6:/var/log/vmware]

btw in the vmware 6.5+ you need disable the driver vmw_ahci or the datastores won't recognize

esxcli system module set –enabled=false –module=vmw_ahci

Edited by VgzGG

qemi

Btw, I have been reading around and many users claimed not having issues if you upgrade to the latest SPP.

VgzGG

definitely, i've migrated the environment to Hyper-V 2016 server core edition.

0 Problems with the raid 120

Stats from a virtual machine.

eJmkaJ4.jpg

SLZ5evD.jpg

The C: was a SSD at the OSD bay SATAII and the D: was a RAID 0 1&2 bay SATAIII

Edited by VgzGG

Mario del Monaco

Dear All,

I'm a new forum member. 

At home I encountered a problem during the installation of ESXi version 6.5 U1 on an older SSD (took it from a Macbook air 2010). TheSSD doesn't support Native Command Queuing (NCQ). It is an extension of the Serial ATA protocol allowing hard disk drives to internally optimize the order in which received read and write commands are executed. 

The use of NCQ is a new "feature" of ESXi. 

Could your performance problem be related ? Do your harddisks/SSDs support NCQ ? 

Kind regards,

Mario. 

Calby

hmm looks like the win server 2016 with hyper-v is the best choose for us with the gen8 then I guess?
I'm running two gen8's with win 2016 and I have no issue, everything works as intended.

mcgrog

My current findings:

I've just created a custom esxi install updated from the last pre gen 9 esxi 6.5u2 offline bundle zip from here:

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=OEM-ESXI65U2-HPE&productId=614

(make sure to select the pre gen 9 download, both pre gen 9 bundles and post gen 9 bundles are on this same page)

Into an iso with:

https://www.v-front.de/p/esxi-customizer-ps.html
(requires the powercli module installed & minimal powershell knowledge)

using this command:

.\ESXi-Customizer-PS-v2.6.0.ps1 -izip .\VMware-ESXi-6.5.0-Update2-9298722-HPE-preGen9-650.U2.9.6.8.3-Sep2018-depot.zip -v65 -update

(one line)

fed it into one of my gen8's through ilo, fired up a vm and got these results from a speed test in the vm with its osd vmdk on an evo 850:

esxi6.5u2hpvsaresults.jpg

Edited by mcgrog