RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
migueltg

ESXi 6.5 B120i (hpvsa) HP Microserver Gen8 Low performance

migueltg

I performed a clean install of ESXi 6.5 on HP Microserver Gen8 with provided HP image (VMware-ESXi-6.5.0-OS-Release-4564106-HPE-650.9.6.0.28-Nov2016). I have the datastore on a Raid 1 logical disk in b120i.

When I access to and from datastores over network through vSphere Client (6.0.0) is very slow ~20 Mbps. In virtual machines the performance has dropped significantly and the overall file copy is much slower.

I tried to install scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88 which gives good performance on ESXi 6.0 but ESXI 6.5 stopped recognizing my datastores.

Finally i Install again ESXI 6.0 with scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88 to get best stable enviroment.

What can be done to be able to have the advantages of ESXI 6.5 with a good performance on HP Microserver Gen8 and B120i?

Thanks

odrakir

I performed a clean install of ESXi 6.5 on HP Microserver Gen8 with provided HP image (VMware-ESXi-6.5.0-OS-Release-4564106-HPE-650.9.6.0.28-Nov2016). I have the datastore on a Raid 1 logical disk in b120i.

When I access to and from datastores over network through vSphere Client (6.0.0) is very slow ~20 Mbps. In virtual machines the performance has dropped significantly and the overall file copy is much slower.

I tried to install scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88 which gives good performance on ESXi 6.0 but ESXI 6.5 stopped recognizing my datastores.

Finally i Install again ESXI 6.0 with scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88 to get best stable enviroment.

What can be done to be able to have the advantages of ESXI 6.5 with a good performance on HP Microserver Gen8 and B120i?

Thanks

I had exactly the same problem... rolled back to 6.0.

malnon

Hi, Total NOOB but looking online especially in this document , http://vibsdepot.hpe.com/hpq/recipes/HPE-VMware-Recipe.pdf , it seems to suggest that driver 5.5.0.102 is the recommended one for 6.5 , I tried to see what the current driver was and I think it was 6 something, again total NOOB so not sure if I am reading this correctly. Also no ide how to change to that driver if it is not in place.

miodzicho

In my case, 6.5 is freezing on UI access, even is frozen then on console. 

P212 512MB with 3 HDD's and b120i with SSD only.

Cannot access storage to restore datastores....rolling back to 6.0, 6.5 seems not working well on Gen8

Edited by miodzicho

seanyang2006

Is there update for the ESXi 6.5 performance issue on MS Gen8?

phillips321

So i'm running 6.5 annam having slow speeds.

Screen_Shot_2016_12_19_at_21_56_27.png

Everything else including the WebUI is working fine.

Balrog

Does the speed problem exists now? I want install ESXi on my Gen8 but I would prefer the actual version 6.5.

I have a Dell H200 HBA (flashed to IT-Mode) for the Xpenology-VM alone and want to use a single SSD on the internal B120 Controller as storage for the vmdks. For me it doesn't matter if in raid- or ahci-mode, it just must work. :-)

Gunnm19

I made the update as well. I kept the embedded driver and I get these results.

I forgot to run the before the upgrade so I don't know what to think about the result...

The test has been made on my SSD which is plugged in the ODD bay, so with SATA2.

I'm running the same test on my SATA HDD (7500rpm / RAID1 / RDM) to see if I can get a better view of this result. I'll post the screenshot tomorrow morning.

What are your thoughts?

Greg

Edit: I browsed my VMs and VM content and I don't see any slowness issue.

SSD.PNG

Edited by Gunnm19
  • Like 1