RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
hightechaddict

SlySoft (AnyDVD, etc) 20% off until 10/3

hightechaddict

Saw on the Slysoft site today that they are running a deal for 20% off all their products until 10/3. Looks like the coupon code is "getmore4less" but it autopopulated in the checkout process for me.

With this discount an AnyDVD HD lifetime subscription comes out to just about $119 US, which is quite a nice price for this software.

I've been on the sidelines about buying this for some time, but at this price, I'm in!

SlySoft Product Page

Dave

One of the best purchases I have made. Got lifetime years ago though for much cheaper. I enjoy archiving my DVD's. Backup purposes only.

awraynor

Same for me. Lifetime updates on all of their products, but the game archiver.

They have never failed me, and update all the time.

Guest no-control

Great software. Great Price.

TheGuy

OK folks,

Explain this for me. I am trying to figure out the use of these solutions:

def of AnyDVD: AnyDVD works in the background to automatically remove the copy protection of a DVD movie as soon as it's inserted into the drive, allowing you then to backup the movie using a DVD backup tool such as CloneDVD.

So if I want to take my DVD and rip it to my WHS; then do I need both AnyDVD and CloneDVD; or just AnyDVD which will put a copy onto my WHS for later viewing; without having to find the DVD in my library or where ever else the kids have left them...

I could download and try I guess, but I was curious to find out what the process was. Since I have the DVD machine hooked up to the TV, I just pop the DVD into the player that is hooked up to my TV, works for me... but I've always wondered if I should rip them to WHS and save the step of hunting down the DVD I am looking for. I'm getting into a new HTPC soon, just trying to figure all of this out. My first try at a HTPC has all of the home movies only, which works well for me.

So how do you use it? Or is it one of those subjects we should not be discussing?

Thank's

Guest no-control

AnyDVD will rip to either .iso or file structure, and there is plenty of free and good software to encode to other formats and containers. All you need is AnyDVD, CloneDVD is for going from .iso to physical disk (just use isoburn its free)

Here's how it works (this is the K.I.S.S. explanation)

When you rip you can either opt to keep or remove the security. If you keep it then when ever you playback that file you will need AnyDVD running. If you discard it then no issue. Your choice either keep the security to remain legal or break it to exercise your fair use right.

Here is my usage.

I have it loaded on 2 computers in the house (This is fine with slysoft). My main PC and the HTPC. I rip all of my new hard copy media to my server. some of the content I break (BD and TV series boxes usually). Those will be encoded into .mkv for space (15-20gb instead of 50gb) and ease of use. My DVD collection is full .iso rips. This is due to small size of these rips (4-7gb) and the fact that I haven't felt like going back through the collection to encode them. DVD's are easy though as you could use DVDshrink or handbrake to do what you like with them.