RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Software RAID or Hardware RAID

britishkiwi

if i upgrade my gen8 i will go windows but if i dont i will just install Open Media Vault.

My crucial data will be backed up to the cloud but it's nice to know and have many recovery options. I cannot backup all my data to the cloud, too expensive. i need to feel comfortable if my RAID mirror dies or a disk dies that i can plug the disk in another machine and have instant access.

Not to be redundant, as Trig0r stated, you also need another backup just in case.  You can get a replacement controller and stick in another system which I had to do once when my system crashed, but you can also move drives if you use Stablebit.  In the end it depends on what you are comfortable with.  Except for storage spaces, there are no bad products.  Use stablebit (or at least try it) if you prefer as they have many great features.  Everyone has different comfort levels.  It has been a couple of years but I tried many of the solutions out there and felt more comfortable with a hardware solution.  I understood it better, and it was easier for me to recover from an issue.    I have moved my arrays more than once to various systems and all I needed to do was load the controller driver and I was good to go.  In addition to feeling more comfortable with it, speed was also important to me.