RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Software RAID or Hardware RAID

britishkiwi

Hi Guys,

i'm looking to set up my 2x3TB WD Red's and read about many Pro's and Cons about software and hardware RAID.

If you have serious data loss what would be the most cost effective setup of RAID to get your data back?

Anyone used and can recommend MS Storage Spaces?

Thanks in advance

I cant recommend Storage Spaces.

Depending on what you are using your server for, I can recommend Stablebit Drivepool and Scanner.

Drivepool gives you the ability to stick any drive into the server, including external drives, add them to a "Pool" and go from there, think JBOD but with NTFS support so where as RAID can lose data if the controller/disk dies with Drivepool your data is stored on an NTFS disk, as the whole file, so you can simply put the drive into another machine and theres your data.

You can also setup duplication so that important files are duplicated on more than one physical disk so it a drive dies, the important stuff is elsewhere, granted, its not a replacement for an actual backup...

Scanner watches the drives in the server and reports SMART errors and the likes, and ties in with Drivepool so that if a drive error is picked up it'll start to evacuate that drive.

• Like 1

Thanks Trig0r,

from my understanding if you use a linux based software raid you can also pull out a working disk and mount it as a drive on a linux desktop and get your data, or have i got that wrong too?

I agree, stay away from storage spaces.  My vote is hardware as it is usually faster and more portable.  It saved my bacon several times.

• Like 1

pcdoc, if your hardware controller dies and you need to get to your data ASAP, how is it done?

Can you plug in your working HD elsewhere?

pcdoc, if your hardware controller dies and you need to get to your data ASAP, how is it done?

Can you plug in your working HD elsewhere?

Depends on the hardware. 

However, if the replacement card is from the same manufacturer, and supports the same RAID type, then you shouldn't have any issues, really. 

say for arguments sake that you are in deep S**t and your only option is to stick one of your raided disks to another machine as an external device, can you access your data easily?

My data is very valuable to me, so i want to know which ever option i use for RAID can i get access to my data? Hopefully both my disk wont die at the same time!!

If your data is valuable, you'll have a backup so array failure of any sort won't matter right? ;)

Unless you have a specific reason to use RAID, and are Windows based, get Drivepool, seriously...