RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Esxi Help or more likely Raid Help

malnon

Hi, NOOB here as far as raid works, I have my Gen8 set up working really well with Win 10 installed to SSD in ODD bay using the raid controller, so have a raid 0 on the SSD in order to boot from it, as I said everything working great. Now I would like to experiment with Esxi on the Gen8 my long winded question is can I physically unplug the SSD and plug in another one then install esxi to a usb and use new SSD as a datastore, then when I have concluded my experiments remove esxi usb and replace SSD with my Win 10 SSD and just boot it backup? Or do I need to do something on the raid card, I do not want to lose my Win 10 install !! Thx for reading any tips greatly appreciated. 

Mal

Yo, 1 tip initially, use SDHC not USB for ESXi if you can.

You can do what you have suggested, you will need to configure array on new SSD aswell. Make sure you do it as a cold swap. Is your SSD the one and only drive with an OS installed?

Is the SSD the only physical disk that is part of that RAID array?

Hi guitaristanime,

Thx I have some SDHC cards handy, I suppose the bigger the better? What is a cold swap? yes the system drive is on the ssd and it is the only drive in that raid arrray, I have 2 other drives for data in another array. So once I work out what cold swap is I can remove the ssd and put a new one in to act as storage for VMs, then at a later date I can remove the sdhc and swap ssd and boot back into my win10 system? sounds good to me. Thx for your comments.

Why is SDHC better?

I always thought ESXi wasn't reliable booting from USB but I think that may have been resolved as I just tried to find a thread about it and it seems to not exist!

However, can't suggest going for ESXi 6.5...it's only been out a few days! The 4GB RAM work around doesn't work on it and it's bound to be full of undiscovered bugs.

I always thought ESXi wasn't reliable booting from USB but I think that may have been resolved as I just tried to find a thread about it and it seems to not exist!

However, can't suggest going for ESXi 6.5...it's only been out a few days! The 4GB RAM work around doesn't work on it and it's bound to be full of undiscovered bugs.

I am running 6.5 of a USB, so I should be in trouble then! 

You are probably right about 6.5, I downloaded it without knowing it was just released. So far I do not at all like the Adobe Flex based "vSphere Web Client". It slow and low on features. The HTML5 based "vSphere client" is suposed to be faster with lesss features. Can't find that at all. The c# client I used in 6.0 is gone.

From what I can understand, vCenter Server Appliance is now the new management GUI and include the HTML5 based "vSphere Client". I dont see a download link anywhere though.

The Adobe Flex interface is what you find at <yourhost>/ui/

Edited by sunefred

I am running 6.5 of a USB, so I should be in trouble then! 

You are probably right about 6.5, I downloaded it without knowing it was just released. So far I do not at all like the Adobe Flex based "vSphere Web Client". It slow and low on features. The HTML5 based "vSphere client" is suposed to be faster with lesss features. Can't find that at all. The c# client I used in 6.0 is gone.

From what I can understand, vCenter Server Appliance is now the new management GUI and include the HTML5 based "vSphere Client". I dont see a download link anywhere though.

The Adobe Flex interface is what you find at <yourhost>/ui/

not familiar with that! The requirements for vCenter are ridiculous (8GB RAM and 2 xCPUs...) so I haven't even bothered installing it for my lab. I work with vCenter all day long at work though so don't need to play with it at home.

Sounds like I need to with 6.5 though? Since that's some big changes. Never liked the web client though , it's always been crap and slow.

not familiar with that! The requirements for vCenter are ridiculous (8GB RAM and 2 xCPUs...) so I haven't even bothered installing it for my lab. I work with vCenter all day long at work though so don't need to play with it at home.

Sounds like I need to with 6.5 though? Since that's some big changes. Never liked the web client though , it's always been crap and slow.

If you run vCenter at work everyday, why not run Hyper-V at home?

• Like 2