RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS and iTunes

LegoTechMan

I am trying to figure out how to get my music that is now on my Home Server to be easily accessible on all of my PC's.

I would prefer to use iTunes at least on my primary PC, since that is what I am currently using because of my iPod.

I have read about using the Firefly Media server to stream the music, but I really haven't found any good articles on exactly how to set it all up.

This certainly seems to be more complicated than what it should be!

How does everyone else use their music from their WHS?

Help!

Thanks,

John

Most of the desktops in my house have Windows 7 on them. I simply make sure the music share is added to the Music Library on all of my PCs. Between iTunes and WMC (via WMP) and any other software, its painful. So, I set each of those tools to not try to manage my music. Instead, I use Media Monkey to manage all of the MP3 tags and album art.

Thanks guys. I followed a "how-to" on wegotserved.com to install Firefly on my WHS to try that. It didn't work. I will be uninstalling it now!

I am now in the process of just importing my music in iTunes from my Music share. It seems to be working okay...not sure why it seemed so difficult before!

I pretty much do what diehard does. Works well for me. I play back via media center all over the house which point to a WHS share and I manage all media from one PC.

• 1 month later...

I agree with putting the music on the server, and having one PC to manage it (I use MediaMonkey). I have other PCs mapped and sharing the music, usually through Windows 7 libraries. I do have one computer with iTunes, and I had to force iTunes to stop messing with my music. I have over 50,000 tracks, with pristine ID3 tags. A lot of work has been spent refining it over the years. Right now, I try not to use "program specific" tags, which iTunes uses a lot of. I have older media players in my house, and my tags need to be compatible with all of them.

I also did a re-fresh of the genre tag, and got it down to about 26 different genres right now.