RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen8+WS2012R2 Slow LAN SMB Speed...

E3000

OK! I want to resolve this issue once and for all!

I used to have an N54L with WHS2011, which had some SMB shares set up, and my main PC could send files to the server > 100MB/s. I now use a Gen8 with WS2012R2 and have the two NICs teamed, and now the file transfer speed is around 40MB/s, big difference! I have tried without teaming and the speed is closer to 70MB/s. I have been putting off this issue for about a year but now I want to put it right.

I have searched online and tried all the common solutions people suggest, such as Jumbo Frames, disabling checksum offloads and disabling largesend offloads. Nothing seems to make any difference.

I use a basic switch that supports Jumbo Frames and Gigabit speeds, and also Cat6 cables, but that all goes without saying as I was receiving over 100MB/s on N54L+WHS2011.

Please guys, let's get this one sorted so we can reference it to anyone having the same problems! All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What disks, raid and storage controller?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

4x WD RED Single RAID-0s, booting off SSD in ODD slot. B120i. Edited by E3000

It sounds like you have tried this, but have you turned off all 6 offload features in the advanced tab for the Broacdcom NIC? Is the PCIe slot available? Have you tried a dual port Intel NIC to try to identify the problem area?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7bd0aa5b-eb95-40a8-a56d-c6013273665c/extremely-slow-smb-network-speed-server-2012-r2?forum=winserver8gen

Is the 2012 install just a server, or also a DC? NTLM signing requirements are higher for a DC, and will often go from 50-70MB/s to a constant 110MB/s when disabled (you can probably live with the decreased security if it's a home box).

Edit: disable teaming, it's only really any use with multiple clients (in general, some improvements with 2012)

Edited by Ricimer

It sounds like you have tried this, but have you turned off all 6 offload features in the advanced tab for the Broacdcom NIC? Is the PCIe slot available? Have you tried a dual port Intel NIC to try to identify the problem area?https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7bd0aa5b-eb95-40a8-a56d-c6013273665c/extremely-slow-smb-network-speed-server-2012-r2?forum=winserver8gen

I have tried disabling offload features. I don't have another NIC to try unfortunately. The PCIe slot is free.

Is the 2012 install just a server, or also a DC? NTLM signing requirements are higher for a DC, and will often go from 50-70MB/s to a constant 110MB/s when disabled (you can probably live with the decreased security if it's a home box).

Edit: disable teaming, it's only really any use with multiple clients (in general, some improvements with 2012)

2012 R2 is installed just as a server with no DC. Is NTLM signing necessary?

I guess I should probably disable teaming and just use one NIC. Is there really zero benefits in teaming on the same LAN?

Edited by E3000

I've a dual port Intel NIC for sale if you're interested?

Can you benchmark your drives to ensure they're capable of giving the estimated iops/MB/s behind the controller?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk