RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Please help - slow throughput on Gen8 ESXi 6 (not drivers issue unfortunately)

guitaristanime

Hi, will do my best to structure this so it flows as smoothly as possible.

I purchased a MS Gen8 (1610GT - 4GB RAM) with the intention of running ESXi 6 on it, I'll spare you the use case and get down to the crux of the problem and steps I've taken so far.

Installed ESXi 6.0 u2, to a 16GB SDHC card, went smoothly bar the upgrade_precheck for RAM. All good.

Set up all my drives as RAID 0 arrays individually they are as follows:

- 3x 2.5" HPE 3G SFF 500GB (pulled from new stock at work)

- 2x 3.5" WD Green 2TB (planning to upgrade these when I'm happy with everything)

So as you can see, what I had laid around the place to get things up and running for testing...

Booted up vSphere and licenced it, set up a data store on one of the 500GB RAID0 arrays, created a VM as per all normal stuff for Windows Server 2012-R2. All good. Get to the loading screen, start installing, copying files goes ok. Then onto the next step getting files ready for installation... as I write now, it's done 29% in 2 hours.

Steps I've taken to try and resolve:

-Replaced hpvsa  -100 .vib with 088 .vib (b120i crappy raid driver)

-Updated all firmware using independent install of HP Service Pack ISO

-Rebuilt all arrays multiple times, destroyed them in gparted live and rebuilt them again

-Reinstalled ESXi from scratch twice replacing driver each time..

-Loading install media for VM from client, from different datastore, same datastore etc

Diagnostics:

-Crystal Disk inside a VM when it eventually finished: 

1Be2RGC.jpg

-hdparm results:

A virtualised the same ISO that I also burned to a USB stick for fair testing.

The virtualised environment netted a cached read of around 2200 MB/sec, buffered read between 190-306 MB/sec (wildly different results each time)

The physical environment netted a cached read of around 3700 MB/sec, buffered read was pretty solid around 117 MB/sec

I dunno what else to test or what to make of those results...

It shouldn't take that long to install Windows in a VM from a datastore attached to the device locally. I don't know if those speeds above are good or bad in comparison to other gen8's but I sure know Windows shouldn't be that slow..

I've got 16GB of RAM in the post, should be here within 5 days... dunno if that will help, noticed the VM was using pretty much all available 4GB of RAM on the installer. Would buying a raid card help? I'm not using the PCI slot for anything. If yes, any suggestions on which I should buy that definitely works with ESXi 6??

Thanks for any help you can give me, totally at the end of my wits with this now and I'm ready to pack it in and just install FreeNAS over the top. Will be a shame if I have to but I've hardly got any time between work at the moment and this was supposed to increase my productivity so I could offload my work VMs onto it from my desktop...!

Have you tried AHCI instead of the B120i? Is your ISO the latest build? Are you having Server 2012 install updates during installation?

- ESXi doesn't support AHCI on the installer. Crashes on installer at 16%. There was a thread on this very forum explaining that and why you shouldn't use it (thought it was you but maybe not!)

- Using latest ISO yes, downloaded it directly from My VMWare Downloads as I have a license...

- No not downloading updates during installation, also to note, it does the same with Server 08 R2. So not to do with Windows updates.

I have a spare 1G p410i cache and battery module that was a spare for my DL380 G7 at work, that would go in a p410 wouldnt it, they are functionally the same thing?

Another stupid question, if I put a p410 in and connected it to the 4-bay cable, would that then support SAS or still limited to SATA III + II ?

Thanks for anymore help you can offer, I really appreciate it, I've worked with servers for quite a long time but never really the hardware side of it, just ESX and beyond.. I just missed the postman with my 16GB RAM :( tomorrow then!

Was wondering if the lack of RAM was causing an issue with caching or something, making data transfer slow?

The P410 will run SATA at SATA2 speed. Your disk speed listed above looks good. I have always used the ESXi image from HP. In the VM that is running, have you tried external file transfers to see how it feels?

The P410 will run SATA at SATA2 speed. Your disk speed listed above looks good. I have always used the ESXi image from HP. In the VM that is running, have you tried external file transfers to see how it feels?

Ah okay, was only because I read a blog post of someone else who got SAS drives running at SATA3 speeds using an IBM card. I've got access to 4x 1TB SAS drives, was gonna sell them anyway so I shall continue doing that.

The ESXI HPE image on VMWare was updated in October, the one on HPE site was updated in April... maybe I should reinstall with the older one from HP then?

External file transfers, copying from a NAS to VM on gigabit LAN, it copied at around 20MB/sec, sometimes less...should be up around 100.. no?

I would try the HP image for ESXi. You should be able to get 100MB throughout on a Gigabit network.

Nah after all that, the HP link just redirects to VMWare anyway, so it's the same image I used already.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• oldwhs12
      By oldwhs12
      I have been running the WHS1 pack 3 for many years.  Unfortunately it is no longer working.  I got a Proliant microserver Gen10 hoping it will run it but was unable to install the software.  The software should run on most older PCs?

Does anyone have the WHS1 running on the Gen10?  Also my WHS1 iso is Pack 1.  If I manage to install the Pack 1 can I find on the web the upgrade to pack 3?  Would I be forever stuck at Pack 1?  Any advice would be appreciated.

• AVsonyfan
      By AVsonyfan
      All credit to schoondoggy for his original idea. A shame I am on the wrong side of the Atlantic to order an SDM kit as the import duties make it an expensive option, or would have if they were still available. I had to look around to see what alternatives I could find... and managed to find the bits needed on Amazon!

I must admit I am rather pleased with the end result of this project and may repeat it on the other Gen8 MicroServer. The outcome is a server with a mirrored system drive on the internal B120i, and the main drive bays connected to an HP P222 card providing a RAID-10 data volume. This is pretty much my ideal setup for a stable resilient but small server.

Sabrent 3.5" to x2 SSD Internal Mounting Kit (BK-HDCC)
      Amazon UK - https://amzn.to/32qEVou
      Amazon US - https://amzn.to/3h8Blom
      The kit comes with all the cabling you need and all the required screws to mount the drives and bracket.
      Two types of power splitter cables are included along with two SATA cables. The bracket holds two SSDs and provides a small gap between them.

I mounted the bracket next to the PSU but leaving a 2-3mm gap to allow for some airflow past the SSDs in case they get warmed by the P222.

Tips:
      Put some insulating tape along the underneath of the upper chassis rail next to the PSU and drilled three small holes.
      I used two strips on to stop the drill bit from walking across the metal. Drill with a 2mm first then a 2.5mm bit. This leaves enough metal for screws to thread in.
      Check and measure each hole against the bracket as you go so that they line up. Bracket is then fixed in place using the provided screws (see photo).

The final part of the puzzle is another Mini-SAS to SATA cable the same as the one connected to the internal drive bays.
      This is an SFF-8087 Mini-SAS [male] connector to 4 SATA [female] header cables. The 50cm cable from Jyopto works great and not too much spare to lose within the system.
      Amazon UK - https://amzn.to/2CXAzgb
      I could not find it on Amazon US site but there was one from CableCreations that same length.

Just need to add your choice of SSDs and cable up to B120i port.  I went with Samsung 860 Pro SSDs for the longer rated lifespan of write cycles.

I decided to forget about an internal DVD/RW drive and opted for an external HP F2B56AA slimline drive that can be plugged into the USB of either system.
      Amazon UK - https://amzn.to/2EgSSxD
      Amazon US - https://amzn.to/326uFmL

Sabrent also make a really good quality 2.5" to 3.5" bay converter adapter (BK-PCBS) that I have used in the EX490/X510 to convert from HDD to SSD system drives.
      Amazon UK - https://amzn.to/3jbYBmT
      Amazon US - https://amzn.to/335kXQz

Hopefully this information will prove useful to some looking to update their MicroServer.

• gru
      By gru
      Hi! I am planning to buy a Microserver Gen10 Plus E-2224 for a small business, and want to add as much disk space as possible. I already have the older Gen10 with 4x4TB HDDs in RAID10 (effective capacity 8TB) and a 2TB SSD in the 5th slot (which is missing on the new G10 plus). The max stated capacity on the HPE site seems to be limited with their own enterprise HDDs, so I'd like to see if I can go for bigger disks. The server would be running a sort of an application which collects lots of data from devices, and the data tends to grow over time (1-2TB per year), and I'd prefer not to worry about the capacity for the next several years.

My primary concern is the max capacity (max single drive capacity + max total RAID capacity with the Smart Array S100i) I can reliably install. If possible, some actual setup which has been shown to work with 32GB RAM and its limited 180W power supply? I was also planning on upgrading it to 32GB. If I am buying a 16GB RAM server, does this means it has both slots occupied with 8GB modules and I need a 2x32GB kit? For the os SSD, I won't have the PCIe slot available because we need to insert a certain GPS PCIe card that the server uses for time synchronization. So, if I want an SSD, this means I should use something like 1xSSD + 3xHDD in RAID5, instead of RAID10?  
      I've been planning to install 16TB Seagate Exos X16 drives, with rated max operating power at 10W (6.3W for random reads/writes). Does this seam feasible?

Thanks a lot for your tips!
    • E3000
      By E3000
      Does anyone know if it is possible to get Agentless Management Service (AMS) running on Debian/Ubuntu Linux? It is always showing as Not Available in the iLO page and I have only ever seen this active in Windows.
    • E3000
      By E3000
      Hey guys,

Has anyone around here been successful in setting up Proxmox on a Gen8 using a HBA for storage?