RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Network throughput

LegoTechMan

Hello,

I am in the process of building a new Home Server and a HTPC. I am also going to upgrade my network to gigabit.

I want to test all of my PC's to find out what the throughput is right now to find out where my bottlenecks are and where I may need to replace cables, etc.

Is there a piece of software that I can use to measure the throughput easily?

I have heard talk on the Podcast about network speeds and was just wondering a good way to measure the speed.

Thanks!

John

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• usacomp2k3

• dvn

• pcdoc

• LegoTechMan

The truest test of network throughput is to copy a large file (>=100MB) from one computer to another over the network. There are other tests, but I personally don't know that those are real-world realistic.

Do you want to test individual components? The hard drive is probably the next place to test. Programs like HD Tach can help you with that.

Thanks. I will give that a try.

I just didn't know if there was a better way to test the speed or not.

I am just looking to measure the speed between various computers on my network to see where bottlenecks are. I have a gigabit switch on my router and a couple of my PC have gigabit NIC's, but I don't know if my cables are good enough.

That is the method I use. The only difference is that I use a larger file so that it will average/stabilize. Typically I use 2 gigs or larger and most of the time I use a 30 gig BD file. It will quickly tell you if you are at true gigabyte speeds. I would look for throughputs larger than 45-50 megs/second. Below that there is something holding you back.

Regarding cables, if your connection speed shows 1gbps in task manager, then you cables are probably fine. Many times the hard drives will be the bottleneck to keep you from reaching gigabit speeds (theoretical 125MB/sec).

Very true. I have yet to see 125. Even with my fastest drives and PC's I get about 85. This is of course continuous not peak.

That's kinda why I was curious why you guys are getting all excited over the 10gbe NIC's. For home use, you really aren't ever going to use that; you're lucky to max out gigabit.

Any way you slice it, you will be ecstatic when you see the speed difference between your old and new network. Well, maybe just fairly satisfied. :)