RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Suddenly lost connection to SSD

Artoodeetoo

Hi!

This is my first server so please be patient with me :) 

I recently installed Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard on a 120GB SSD and mounted 4 x 3TB HDDs. Everything worked perfectly until I restarted it this night because of Windows updates.

I checked the cables for the SSD (they are all new) and they looked fine.

When I woke up it had booted into repair mode. Tried rebooting and it showed the Windows flag with spinning dots for about two seconds, then a message flashed "Your PC has run in to issues" or something like that, it was gone after a split second.

I tried "Reset your PC" but it keeps saying "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing"

I tried the option "Refresh your PC" but it stated that the drive is locked and that I need to unlock the drive(?). I then started CMD and tried diskpart and it says "There are no fixed disks to show". 

I tried bcdedit and it says "The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The requested system device could not be found".

I went and looked in SSA which says Array A - 1 Logical drive and shows the SSD on port 51 - Bay 5.

It also showed all my HDDs. 

I'm not really sure where to start. Have I somehow locked the drive? 

Kind regards

Same thing happened to me. I used a Ubuntu USB stick and formatted the SSD drive and started again.

I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear :(

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Oh before you do start again, have you tried running the SPP from a disk? It being a batch file you may be able to get it running and it may help your problems.

Oh before you do start again, have you tried running the SPP from a disk? It being a batch file you may be able to get it running and it may help your problems.

Hm, I'm not entirely sure of what you mean. Could you elaborate? :)

Also, will I lose the data I've put on the HDDs if I reinstall the OS? 

Hm, I'm not entirely sure of what you mean. Could you elaborate? :)

Also, will I lose the data I've put on the HDDs if I reinstall the OS?

You can download the Service Pack for Proliant which has just come out. I don't know if you'd be able to run it through iLo or whether you could do it from command line on system repair but it might fix your problems, especially if it is a firmware or driver problem.

You can download the Service Pack for Proliant which has just come out. I don't know if you'd be able to run it through iLo or whether you could do it from command line on system repair but it might fix your problems, especially if it is a firmware or driver problem.

Ok, thanks for your help! I'm starting to reinstall the OS atm. Can I recover the files I put on the HDDs? They were/are in Raid 10. It's nothing of importance, just curious if they will be gone now. 

The RAID 10 set should be fine because you are only tinkering with a volume on a separate array. Fingers crossed!

It's my first server too so I'm winging it as much as you :)

Hi!

This is my first server so please be patient with me :)

I recently installed Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard on a 120GB SSD and mounted 4 x 3TB HDDs. Everything worked perfectly until I restarted it this night because of Windows updates.

I checked the cables for the SSD (they are all new) and they looked fine.

When I woke up it had booted into repair mode. Tried rebooting and it showed the Windows flag with spinning dots for about two seconds, then a message flashed "Your PC has run in to issues" or something like that, it was gone after a split second.

I tried "Reset your PC" but it keeps saying "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing"

I tried the option "Refresh your PC" but it stated that the drive is locked and that I need to unlock the drive(?). I then started CMD and tried diskpart and it says "There are no fixed disks to show". 

I tried bcdedit and it says "The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The requested system device could not be found".

I went and looked in SSA which says Array A - 1 Logical drive and shows the SSD on port 51 - Bay 5.

It also showed all my HDDs. 

I'm not really sure where to start. Have I somehow locked the drive? 

Kind regards

Hi, I too experienced something like this. My machine also did this after a Windows update. I was running 2 Kingston SSD's in RAID0 for close to a year before this happened. 

I created a thread a little while ago, http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11764-b120i-catastrophic-failure/, but I've not had any joy and decided to get a replacement unit through my insurance.

In my scenario though, after the machine fails to boot and checking the SSA a major error appears relating to the B120i. Clearing the error through a reboot and allowing the machine to continue beyond POST the disks attached to the B120i are simply no longer there when trying to using Windows Repair tools / diskpart etc.

I have an add-on card, P222, and all the disks attached to it do still appear.

Now that you are trying to reinstall, at installation does the machine see your installation disks attached to the controller? Are any errors in SSA and lastly, are these the disks connected to the B120i or an add-on card?

Regards,

The RAID 10 set should be fine because you are only tinkering with a volume on a separate array. Fingers crossed!

It's my first server too so I'm winging it as much as you :)

Hm maybe I messed up then. I removed the HDDs before reinstalling the OS on my SSD. Felt safer for some reason, but I really don't know if it is. We'll know soon!  :rolleyes:

Edited by Artoodeetoo

Hi, I too experienced something like this. My machine also did this after a Windows update. I was running 2 Kingston SSD's in RAID0 for close to a year before this happened. 

I created a thread a little while ago, http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11764-b120i-catastrophic-failure/, but I've not had any joy and decided to get a replacement unit through my insurance.

In my scenario though, after the machine fails to boot and checking the SSA a major error appears relating to the B120i. Clearing the error through a reboot and allowing the machine to continue beyond POST the disks attached to the B120i are simply no longer there when trying to using Windows Repair tools / diskpart etc.

I have an add-on card, P222, and all the disks attached to it do still appear.

Now that you are trying to reinstall, at installation does the machine see your installation disks attached to the controller? Are any errors in SSA and lastly, are these the disks connected to the B120i or an add-on card?

Regards,

I'm using the B120i. My SSD was in Raid 0 and the HDDs in Raid 10. When I looked in SSA i received no errors at all.

And everything worked fine now as well after reinstalling the OS. Files are still there. A few pictures just for testing. Won't be putting imporant stuff on it just yet  :lol: