RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Install OS on SSD in 1 of 4 bays, move to ODD later?

TheJacksonian

Long time lurker.

Got one of these babies, and I'm wondering if I can pop my SSD into one of the 4 bays and install the OS on it, and using the HP Array have 2 other 3.5HDDs for my storage. Then when I decide it's time to add to the storage, is it simple enough to move the OS SSD out into the ODD connection later? Will it need an install? Or should it just move over?

Thanks.

It's easy - you just install on the bay and then when you are ready to install on SSD you can save your server config, add SSD drive and set the partition with OS on to non-bootable and you will be prompted for boot device... Select SSD and there you go.

Problem is, you will not be able to change the RAID config without messing up your data. I've set mine for RAID 1+0 (4x WD Red, 2tb) with OS on ODD. I'd suggest you do the same and then when you have the SSD do as I suggest and that will maintain your RAID and all the data - Inc original install.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Sorry I think I miss read... I'm assuming you want to install to SSD but don't have the converter cable for the ODD power? If so just wait for it mate it'll make your life easier :)

That said, I think if you RAID 0 it you would be able to just move it and the RAID data will be OK.

Sorry I think I miss read... I'm assuming you want to install to SSD but don't have the converter cable for the ODD power? If so just wait for it mate it'll make your life easier :)

That said, I think if you RAID 0 it you would be able to just move it and the RAID data will be OK.

Yeah, that's my main reason, a little inpatient wating on that cable!!! :)

The plan is RAID 0 for non-critical media and I suppose I could start that process now with that and the SSD. Then when the cable arrives get the SSD moved and working then pair 2 drives for RAID x (whatever is 'redundant' raid) for my critical data.

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, I'm in Australia :) taking a little longer to get here, couldn't source one locally. So using Aliexpress.

Although I tried to install Windows 10 on the SSD just connected to one of the bays, and for whatever reason, I can't install it. It's very odd, I am using the 2 USB setup, and was able to install it on a 3.55 HDD and get it setup. However now when I plug the SSD into one of the bay slots, I get this error after adding the B120i drivers.

"We couldn’t create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files".

I used F5 and the Smart Array and set the drive up as RAID0 (no other drives plugged in), and like I say it worked fine before as a test, but cannot install it on the SSD, I wonder whether it's an issue with the USB Drivekey I'm installing from being marked as C: and then Windows 10 install can't work it out. Anyway, I continue to search for some answers.

The other thing I'd do is as I said previously - install it onto a normal disk to get it running and then save it as a VHD and then when you get the cable, disable boot on that partition and do a fresh install but from a saved config based on previous install.