RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Moving Drives (in Array) to new Win2012 R2 install

Dwain Pipe

Hi all,

I've changed my ssd in bay 5 (the ODD) and decided to do a fresh install of Windows 2012 R2.

I created the new ssd as a new array and new logical drive and I deleted the other two existing arrays for the 4 other drives I have in the bays (both are 2 drive pairs in an array as one logical drive each.  Therefore when I did the fresh install Windows only saw the new ssd and installed fine.

Then I went into the Smart Storage Admin and created a new array and logical drive from one pair of drives.  Went into windows and it told there was an unformatted drive... ok I thought because I had used those drives for an ESXi datastorage previously, so they won't formatted for windows.

But this has got me very nervous...  the other pair of drives next to put into a final array / logical drive has all my important data.  

If I create the array, will windows want to format the drive???  PANIC!  Or will it see that it's windows formatted already and give me access to the data.

I thought that creating / deleting arrays didn't affect the contents of the drives.

I'm getting in a bit of a panic if I can't get at my data.

Thanks in advance.

I've gone into disk management and windows is saying the drive pair is Not Initialized but is seeing the full size of the drive pair.

Not sure what to do next.

I'm trying Raid Recovery software.  It can see it all so I'm trying a recovery to get the files.  If that works I may try initialising the drive to see what happens.

The B120i should just pick up the RAID set. I can't find the Dynamic Smart Array user guide. When you rebooted with the RAID set installed it should have given an error message and asked what you wanted to do with the drives. What did the B120i ask when you booted? Find the Dynamic Smart Array users guide. There are detailed instructions on removing and migrating a RAID set.

When I took the drives out to do the new windows install, the B120i saw this and I just create one array/logical drive for the ssd.

After the install I added the other bay drives to the B120i.  

After using Raid Recovery on the pair of drives I was worried about initialising I've successfully recovered all the files. :-)

I'm copying them across to my NAS for save temp storage then I'll initialise the drive pair and report back... I think it will wipe the drive.

I initialised the drive and it DID wipe the drive.

I want to do a fresh install of the OS again, but I'm getting loads of problems.  

I've got a copy of the ISO on the internal SD card, internal USB, I've got a USB DVD player attached with the DVD in, and I've formatted a bootable USB ifrom the ISO in the front port.

IP is not seeing them!!!

If I boot from the bootable USB then it doesn't see the array controller (driver not available I guess).

The only IP way I can see is mapping the ISO image on another machine through the ILO (I've got the advanced licence), but it's soooooo slow.

How do I use the ISO image on the internal SD or USB?

Or how do I use the USB in the front port with either a ISO image or as a bootable drive?

It has been a while, but I think I have loaded it with two USB sticks, one with the ISO and one with the B120i driver. Both USB sticks need to be in USB 2 ports.