RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Wake your PC remotely with Program Launcher in WHS console

dvn

This is a solution to something I've been wanting to do for some time - wake my main PC from WHS console while remoting in.

I generally sleep my main PC during the workday, but occasionally I'd like to have access to it while still at work. I found this utility -- WOL.exe -- that let's me do this without having to install another WHS addin.

I created a simple .bat file that runs WOL.exe to wake my PC, and put both files in the the same folder. Then I ran Program Launcher and added the .bat to the programs I can launch from there. If you don't use the Program Launcher addin, don't worry, just run it from your WHS desktop. Anyway, the .bat looks like this:

wol 0123456789AB

...where '0123456789AB' is the MAC address of the PC you want to wake. The colons are stripped out because the utility only takes 12 HEX digits for input.

I suppose if you want to wake multiple PC's, you'd create a batch for each -- PC1.bat, PC2.bat, etc. -- or make one .bat with a menu if you're feeling creative.

*Here's a bit more descriptive link about Program Launcher from We Got Served. You've probably heard Diehard mention this addin a couple of times on the HSS podcast.

DVN,

Another option is using the free version of Logmein which also provide you with access to other systems as well.

Is that what you're using? Do you like it?

A quick check and it looks the the free version does. So you could install Logmein on all the computers you remote into. Which is great for anything less than Pro because they can't host remote desktop. But you have to create an account which always makes me stop and think if I really want to do this thing. And unless someone can tell me that it's noticeably faster than Windows RDP, I'm all set for now, though I've heard Leo LaPorte talk about how great it is, and I don't doubt it.

It does wake on lan and it will power on when the system is powered off or sleeping. As for how it does it, it uses a very small client on each computer whether in or out of your network. The advantage is the IP issue over RDP, tighter security, and access from anywhere including iPhone/iPad. I use it almost every day as it allows me access to everything in one package and yes, I believe it is faster. You should give it a try, the price is right.

Yes. As long as there is at least one machine on it can wake any of the others. It is actually a very nice setup that I end up using more than accessing the WHS directly. It is more versatile and lets me do other things easier than RDP. For me it is just a better choice. I frequently use it on my iPad when I am on the road to do a task or access information. I personally think that everyone should at least try it and see if works for you.