RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Adding existing drives to a VM

Dwain Pipe

Sorry but I'm a newbie to the VM world.  

I had Win Server 2012 R2 essentials running on my HP Microserver Gen 8 but wanted to do more with the server so have decided to go VM!

I swapped the SSD that had the Server 2012r2 installation on it out for a new one (so the server does not have that server OS available at all) and installed ESXi hypervisor 6.0 on an (internal) USB drive and started creating my first VMs.

I've got a pair of non-SSD drives in the server and on the drives is my shares from the old server OS.

I've installed a fresh install of Win Server 2012 R2 essentials on a VM and it's working well.  Now I want the new Win2012r2 VM to access the pair of non-SSD drives that are in the server.

I can see the 'storage device' i.e. the pair of drives in the VMWare ESXi client but how do I make it available to a VM?   Do I need to create it as a datastore then add it as hardware in the VM settings?

Does creating a datastore in ESXi 'format' the drive erasing the existing data?

Hi Dwain

If you create a Datastore on the existing drives it will erase the existing content.

If you are trying to see your original content of the drives within your new VM of server 2012 you'll need to pass through the hardware controller for the hard drives to the VM. If you have the non-SSD's connected to a separate hard drive controller and you have the right motherboard / chipset combo you can through the advanced settings of the ESXi client software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can also do raw device (or disk?) mapping (RDM) with those two disks in case they share controller with other disks you need in vsphere.

Didn't know that!!

Is that possible in the free version do you know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk