RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Highpoint Rocketraid 2720 SGL - Connection and Bios issues

Javaan

Good morning!

first of all, my apologies for opening another thread on this problem, as the initial thread was too unclearly formulated from my side.

My setup:

- Main components: Intel 3940K processor on an ASUS P9x79 motherboard, 16 GB DDR3 RAM

- Graphics: GTX770

- Bootdisc: Samsung EVO 256 GB SSD Disc

As I need to increase my storage capacity, I wanted to build a new RAID5 setup with:

- controller: Highpoint Rocketraid 2720 SGL, able to manage 8 SATA drives

- Discs: 8x 4TB Western Digital Red (WDEFRX) drives

The PCIe slot occupation on the motherboard is as follows:

1) PCIe 3.0 x16_1 slot: graphics card

2) PCIe 2.0 x1_1: unoccupied

3) PCIe 2.0 x1_2: unoccupied

4) PCIe 3.0 x16_2: unoccupied

5) PCI 1: unoccupied

6) PCIe 3.0 x16_3: Highpoint Rocketraid 2720 SGL

The controller is a PCIe 2.0 x8 card, which should be able to work on the chosen slot (backward compatibility). The setup looks like this. During the boot process, the disks are recognized by the card, as can be seen here and here. When starting windows, it should be possible to configure the RAID in the WebGUI (latest version installed, HighPoint RAID Management 2.5.8). However, this WebGUI reports that it cannot reach the disks, as can be seen here.

Question: does anyone recognize this and know what to do about it?

Now, perhaps a sideline, but what strikes me as very odd, it that this bios screen looks nothing like the one displayed in the manual, as can be seen here. Also, the BIOS versions displayed (4.0.0.1805 in contrast to 1.14_15_09_02 of the Highpoint website) seem totally unrelated. This means that the "update your BIOS to the latest firmware"-option seems outright dangerous to me. The card seems legit, but this BIOS is missing all options to configure the arrays. Now, I can imagine that you stop supporting that and push the users to do that via WebGUI, but I cannot find any reference to that.

Question, does anyone recognize this or know more about it?

Many thanks for your support and time!

Best regards from Holland.

Have you tried moving the card to the #2 slot rather than the number #3 slot? 

It may be that it's not initializing properly in the system on the "further out" slot. 

Hi Drashna,

thanks for the reply. I have tried it, but unfortunately it doesn't change a thing. Do you perhaps have another idea?

Also, I have searched the web, and it seems there aren't many happy users of this product ( :-) ), do you have alternative recommendations for (preferably hardware RAID) controllers that are capable of handling 8+ HDDs and are reliable? Many thanks in advance!

Best regards from Holland!

Ah, then it may be a hardware compatibility issue, or something weirder.

If you want to replace the card, get an LSI based card. Either LSI brand, or an OEM card.  These are great cards, and will serve you well.

Also, if it's a SAS card, you only need "4 ports" as you can get a SAS Expander and hook up a bunch more drives (I have an 8 port card, and can hook up all 36 drive bays in my case with it. 

Something is not right with your screen shot.  I have four of these and my boot/bios screen does not look like that.  I am also pretty sure highpoint does not use a Marvel controller as pictured here.  Did you buy this card new? Looks to me like you are running Highpoint software on a non highpoint controller.  Suggest your exchange the card if you can.

I am also pretty sure highpoint does not use a Marvel controller as pictured here.  

HighPoint *specifically* uses Marvell chipsets for most (if not all) of their cards.

They're rebranded Marvell chips, with custom firmware. 

however, I did miss this, and it may be that this card is not using a proper firmware from HighPoint.  Or maybe these are not genuine HighPoint cards. 

HighPoint *specifically* uses Marvell chipsets for most (if not all) of their cards.

They're rebranded Marvell chips, with custom firmware. 

however, I did miss this, and it may be that this card is not using a proper firmware from HighPoint.  Or maybe these are not genuine HighPoint cards. 

Thanks for the clarification, I have never seen anything in their bios or software that said they used Marvel.  I agree in that this is not a genuine card/firmware.  I would definitely try to re-flash the card and see what happens.  Not much to loose at this point.

Thanks for the clarification, I have never seen anything in their bios or software that said they used Marvel.  I agree in that this is not a genuine card/firmware.  I would definitely try to re-flash the card and see what happens.  Not much to loose at this point.

That or contact HighPoint directly, and let them know where you bought the card from. 

And yeah, the rebranding/custom firmware is one of my bigger issues with HighPoint cards. 

Well, if I tell you why this is, I'll be booted out of the forum (and quite rightly so). Nobody made a mistake, except for me: I accidentally bought the Rocket 2720SGL, instead of the RocketRAID 2720SGL. An honest, but nonetheless stupid mistake. Now I have to return the card, and I bought the LSI 9341-8i MegaRAID instead (for expansion possibilities). Anyhow, another 150 bucks through the drain for a new card and two cables. but hey, what can you do ;-) Thanks for the support!

Well, that would do it. ;)

And yeah, you definitely don't want the Rocket card....

And to be honest, I think you'll be happier with the LSI card in the long run.  Just make sure you grab a SAS expander when you nee to hook up more drives. Rather than another card.