RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

iTouch and Twonky/MSS

dvn

I'm trying to use Twonky for the first time and I'm having problems.

1. When I attempt to wireless stream a movie from Twonky on my MSS to a brand new iTouch 32G, I get an error message stating that flash and Safari aren't allowed to play with each other.

2. When I attempt to dl the same movie to my iTouch from home server's remote access interface, I get an error message saying that Safari cannot download this file.

[*]Why, and why?

*The file in question is an .mp4 which plays perfectly well when I sync it to the iTouch from the iTunes software.

Flash and the iPhone OS (which is used on the iPod touch)does not have flash built-in. Apple is not allowing flash into the OS at this point. As for downloading to the iPod touch, the OS does not allow for direct downloading to the device. Again, Apple calls it a "feature". There has been some talk around about a 3rd party add-in that will do the trans coding to the iPod. Air video or something like that. I have never used it so I don't know much about it.

I hope this helps.

JR

Gotta love Apple. /sarcasm Ok, so I guess my question is how do people use their iTouch with MSS? I mean, iTunes server and streaming is supposed to be an MSS feature. How can I wirelessly access content on my EX495 with the iTouch?

Have you tried the istream app ?
You can test it with https://xxx.homeserver.com/MobileStreamer/msconnect/rss/feedS100
replace xxx with your server name.

As mentioned, Air Video is an option, but it will max out your CPU cycles on your home server if it has to encode it while steaming. That's the negative part, but unlike the istream, you can run it without having to first encode all your video to .mp4 as a mobile format. That might not be an issue if you only have a few files. You will have to remember to forward the proper port from your router to your server.

The iStream app is exactly what I was looking for. Seems to stream converted videos well.

The iTouch actually belongs to my daughter. So I just set up a WHS account for her so she can log in whenever. She'll like this. Thanks, guys.