RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

need suggestion for Edgerouter Lite setup

oscar17

I am considering purchasing an Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite ERLITE-3.  I plan to use it in series between the cable modem and Eero.

cable-modem <=> Edgerouter <=> Eero

Note: Cable modem plan 100 Mbps up & 100 Mbps down

I plan to keep the Eero in router mode.  My goal is to use Edgerouter Lite as ngfw and traffic analysis.  I will also be enabling dnsmasq and squidguard on Edgerouter Lite.

Should I consider setting up Edgerouter Lite in bridge-mode or double NAT?  How would I accomplish this setting?  Will Edgerouter Lite be able to keep up with the traffic, about 50 devices.

I want to monitor/log traffic per device (like IoT or Eero), so I can interrogate and identify if there are any unexpected activity.

I want to monitor/log traffic per device (like IoT or Eero), so I can interrogate and identify if there are any unexpected activity.

I think you would be far happier with Free Sophos UTM or Untangle. (Sophos XG is a newer free alternative, but still has a few quirks)

UTM9 is limited to 50 IP addresses. The new XG is not, but limited to 4 cores/6gb (ample for home)

Alternative is Untangle for 5$ per month for home licence.

There are quite a few threads on here about all 3, check out Drashnas UTM blog as it has a full walk through of setting up for home use.

ye

Is it correct that I would then need to put this PC with UTM software between my cable modem and wifi-router in my scenario?

sorry for the delay.

Yes, you will need to run a UTM in bridge mode.