RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RAID Mirror of the System Drive..

SabatonFan80

I was just curious as to how many of the us franken-builders are planning on mirroring the system drive?

I'm trying to decide just how important this is going to be for me because I'm starting to price out my build a little more in detail now.

Dave, I know you were doing RAID testing at one point.. how did that go?

Personally, I'd be using either Windows software raid or an Adaptec 1430SA controller card to mirror my system drive.

What's everyone's opinions on mirroring of the system drive?

Not to speak for Dave, but I believe he used dual 160 laptop drives in the Icy Dock adpater (MB990SPB) and he reported no issues. The adapter was mounted in the front in the particular case he used but there is no reason why you could not mount them internally provided your case is provisioned for such. Some of the better Cooler Master cases have this feature.

I plan to use this setup when I build mine around Christmas; the longer I wait the cheaper everything gets. Priced today a box with an i5-760 chip, suitable for virtualization (8TB, 8Gig DDR3, etc) is pricing around $850 US.

I was just curious as to how many of the us franken-builders are planning on mirroring the system drive?

I'm trying to decide just how important this is going to be for me because I'm starting to price out my build a little more in detail now.

Dave, I know you were doing RAID testing at one point.. how did that go?

Personally, I'd be using either Windows software raid or an Adaptec 1430SA controller card to mirror my system drive.

What's everyone's opinions on mirroring of the system drive?

I would definitely agree with jmwills. Vail is a great candidate for mirroring. Don't forget that you will also be able to run a backup on the OS drive as well. In certain conditions, backups are better (like when things corrupt and you can restore to an earlier time) but for protection against down time due to hardware failure, mirroring is the way to go. Dave can better describe his experience but I believe I will give it a shot.

Personally waiting for Icy Dock's MB982SPR solution for the system drive. It is a 3.5" enclosure that accepts two 2.5" drives and gives you the option to mirror (RAID 1) or span (RAID 0) the drives. As far as Vail is concerned, this will be one physical drive. I'm considering picking up a couple of these for various systems.

Personally waiting for Icy Dock's MB982SPR solution for the system drive. It is a 3.5" enclosure that accepts two 2.5" drives and gives you the option to mirror (RAID 1) or span (RAID 0) the drives. As far as Vail is concerned, this will be one physical drive. I'm considering picking up a couple of these for various systems.

Interesting.

I had planned on using Windows software raid for portability (I'm planning on virtualizing my Vail build, otherwise this wouldn't be an option), but that sounds like a pretty tempting hardware implementation.

I know this was a discussion on RAID, however you might reconsider your quest to virtualize Vail or any home server version. VM are great in the right application but home servers is probable not one of those. You may disagree, however if you want the best experience with better up time, use a smaller machine, with hardware raid, and dedicated drives. Makes for backup and recovery a bunch easier. My two cents.

I know this was a discussion on RAID, however you might reconsider your quest to virtualize Vail or any home server version.

Agreed. I have 2 "servers" in my house. One is my WHS server on physical hardware; the other is a virtual host for running all my other systems. I love virtual machine technology, but it does add complexity that I'm not comfortable with when talking Windows Home Server.

On another note, I'd personally avoid trying to use Windows software RAID for your server. It certainly has its place, but I've never found it reliable enough for a server application.

I suppose this is where I will chime in and say: we just got these in and will be testing them in the next week or so on Mac and PC systems. It is hardware RAID, and can be configured either using the software or the switch on the enclosure itself.

Look forward to the test results as many are thinking of going that route when we port over to Vail. Thanks and keep us posted.

I on the other hand decided to go with the "Safe Server Module" from TranquilPC. Since I'm employing a HP EX495 as my production server I wanted a RAID solution with the SSM attributes including the remote monitoring software. I've completed about two weeks of on and off testing with both an ACER H341 and another EX495 and am planning on posted my own impressions along with some test results. This weekend it'll be incorporated into the production server.