RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server 2016/Windows 10

Village Idiot

I have Server 2012 R2 on my Microserver G8. I'd like to upgrade to 2016. What's the best way to go about this? I started running the 2016 upgrade from the ISO I downloaded and first error was that the GPU is not supported. The next said that the domain forest upgrade was not supported and that a fresh install was recommended. It's a home server and is basically a file server. Should I just do a fresh install? All my data and programs are on the data disks.

I think the only other thing to worry about is a hyper V machine, which I could just reinstall everything on anyways. Has anyone else done this successfully? I'm seeing that people have install Windows 10 on it and have the only issue there is the lack of a GPU driver. I don't even have a monitor attached to the server, so that's not an issue.

Are you running 2012R2 DataCenter or Essentials?  If Essentials, there is no upgrade path from what I can tell.

Are you running 2012R2 DataCenter or Essentials?  If Essentials, there is no upgrade path from what I can tell.

Datacenter. I have licenses through school.

Did you set it up as a DC or just add the Essentials role?  How is the data continaed?  On a RAID Array or some software drive pooling device?

Did you set it up as a DC or just add the Essentials role?  How is the data continaed?  On a RAID Array or some software drive pooling device?

It's a DC and essentials is not installed. The OS is on an SSD in the CD drive and the data is on 4 disk with Stabilebit setup with the drive bays and each as it's own RAID disk. 

I have all the programs and data on those drives, so can I just reinstall the new OS on the SSD and reinstall stabilebit drive pool, enable the pool with the data that's already there, and install all the programs and set everything back up again? Out of the two VMs that I have on it, they only one in use is the Win10 VM that I use to download stuff and make sure it's clean. There's only two programs on it.

I think it's smarter to do a fresh install at this point. If worse comes to worse, I have a 2TB HDD that I can copy the data to for a backup as well.

I did a fresh install by pulling the OS SSD out and using a differnet SSD, then connected the array, reinstalled DrivePool and off I went..

Dont forget to de-activate your Stablebit stuff..

I did a fresh install by pulling the OS SSD out and using a differnet SSD, then connected the array, reinstalled DrivePool and off I went..

So ever find a graphics driver that worked?

That would work as well.  That's the beauty of having a dedicated controller card.  Just wipe out the OS and everything comes back up once you install the drivers for the card.