RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Which OS do you recommend?

JimmyJ01

Hi,

Newbie here in the UK with a question if I may please?

At work we are at last going virtualised for IT support, so I am looking to setup a Virtual environment at home on a HP MicroServer Gen 8, and then access this from work to get some practice in with SCCM.

In your opinion would it be better to Install ESXI 5.5 as the OS of the server, and then host within it a Windows 2008 R2 Domain Server, an SQL Server and an SCCM server and 2 Windows 7 machines, or should I install Windows Server 2008 R2 as the OS of the server instead, and then install ESXI 5.5  within that to host the SQL and SCCM servers and the Windows 7 machines?

I intend to keep the Celeron CPU but will be upgrading the memory to the 16gb max.

Great forums by the way! It's been very educational reading this Gen 8 forum especially :)

Cheers,

JJ

Edited by JimmyJ01

One way to answer the question would be what is your work going to use.  The ESXI industry is strong and is widely supported.  Server Core or Hyper-V is much easier but has some limitations.  I would try ESXI first and see what you think.

Hi, thanks for your replies.

The reason I want to use 2008 R2 and ESXi 5.5 is that these are what work are going to be using, so I would like to mirror their setup as far as is possible.

Cheers

JJ

Go ESXi with the OS's installed on top of that as separate VM's, to do it the other way you suggested would mean having to host ESXI within a Hyper-V on the 2k8 r2 DC which I'm not sure is even possible and if it is you'll impact performance of the VM's.

I would also seriously look at using ESXi 6 update 2 rather than 5.5. V6 brings the web interface to the free version and makes management possible without need for a thick client. Both ESXi 5.5 and WK2r2 are fully end of life within the next 3.5 years

Edited by mattb75

Hi Matt, thanks for the advice

Since my first post I've been reading the Micro Svr Gen 8 FAQ thread and it seems that everybody has ditched the Celeron processor for a more powerful one.

Not being very clued up on hardware I'd like to avoid that if possible. Do you think the G1610T will be able to cope with the VMs I hope to use please?

Cheers,

JJ

Hi

I think running the 5 or so VM's you've mentioned could be a bit too much for the stock processor - expect it will run, but very slowly - the headroom of the DC, SQL and SCCM VM's alone will consume the majority of the CPU cycles when they are processing - SQL is particularly hungry under load. Memory could be an issue too - believe the base G1610T currently ships with 4GB, I'd recommend moving to the full 16GB if you are going to try running all 5 VM's together.

If you haven't already purchased the G1610T take a look at the HP ML10 on ebuyer - £166.99 after cash back but has a Pentium G4400 processor and can be expanded up to 64GB and a Xeon processor as your development environment and knowledge expands and you want to do more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've had a look through an ML10 Gen 9 forum on here and found a comment from a moderator called SchoonDoggy who says:

"The ML10 Gen 9 does not currently have support for ESXi"

Excuse the ignorant question but does that mean I cant install ESXi on it as an OS, or does it mean that HP will not provide IT support for it instead?

Cheers

JJ

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've had a look through an ML10 Gen 9 forum on here and found a comment from a moderator called SchoonDoggy who says:

"The ML10 Gen 9 does not currently have support for ESXi"

Excuse the ignorant question but does that mean I cant install ESXi on it as an OS, or does it mean that HP will not provide IT support for it instead?

Cheers

JJ

ESXi will run on the ML10 Gen9, it is just not a supported OS by HPE. The Microserver Gen8 is on the supported list for ESXi 5.5, but not 6:

http://h17007.www1.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/supportmatrix/vmware.aspx#.WA9Kb-grIuU

ESXi will run on the ML10 Gen9, it is just not a supported OS by HPE. The Microserver Gen8 is on the supported list for ESXi 5.5, but not 6:

http://h17007.www1.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/supportmatrix/vmware.aspx#.WA9Kb-grIuU

Schoondoggy, I think the Microserver Gen8 is on the supported list for ESXi 6 as well. It even has drivers for it on HPE support page. http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=7298965&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4183

• Like 1